Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you transport your monorail camera?

Re: How do you transport your monorail camera?

Quote Originally Posted by ramiroelena View Post
    lol you gotta be kidding me! I live in a very small town, the minute I set foot on the street I am going to be assaulted by old ladies asking how old she is... too later see a strange device attached to a silver bar inside it.
    Just put a realistic looking doll inside the carriage. Preferably beheaded and sprinkle around a little catsup. Maybe next time they'll mind their own business.

Then again, I guess that could be a little over the top.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

If the parts are just thrown in a bag without being carefully protected, I would leave the camera assembled so that the parts cannot crash into each other.

You can disconnect one end of the bellows, extend the standards to the ends, and swing them around sideways. That way, you can lock down everything except the free end of the bellows. It will fit in a flattish case like that. But for convenience I try to keep the camera in usable configuration when carrying it around.

Rick "who uses two cases; one for storage and one for carrying, each with different requirements" Denney

That's a short rail Calumet in a plastic storage bin in a soft sided beer cooler. One end of the rail is supported to keep it from flopping around. The camera is stored fully assembled (this old camera can't be easily disassembled anyway). I carry the whole package like a big shoulder bag (or put it in the milk crate basket on the back of my bicycle).

For short walks it's perfect. You'd need to find a bigger setup for your camera. If you're only walking short distances I'd find a way to carry the camera assembled.

...Mike

I included a pic of my mobile office in this post:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...&postcount=551

But I don't think it's big enough for a 5x7 camera.

Rick "who keeps the camera assembled" Denney

Just got back from "the field". I packed it all up in the Lowepro bag. It barely fits. Both standards off the rail, bellows and one lens. Had to carry the lightmeter in my belt and the monorail mounted on the tripod.
    One problem with this Sinar is that the rear standard has ears or horns (two metal pieces/guides that protude a couple inches.)

I like both your ideas Mike and Rick, or at least that's what I was aiming for. Now it's a matter of finding the right case.

Claes Uhnér

I carry my 5x7 or 8x10 Norma in a laptop computer backpack fitted with some extra foam padding. The backpack I have holds a complete 5x7 camera with a few compact lenses and maybe half a dozen filmholders. When I use the 8x10 I have to carry the bellows in a separate shoulder bag.

Naturally, the camera needs to be disassembled, but it only takes a minute or two to set it up on the tripod. The advantage of this set-up is that it is easy to carry in the backcountry.

Since I haul my stuff around in a cheap backpack, I usually mount my camera atop the trip, and then sling the whole thing over my shoulder rifle-style. If you're concerned about anything falling off, then you haven't attached your camera properly. I've walked for miles with this configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by uhner View Post
    I carry my 5x7 or 8x10 Norma in a laptop computer backpack fitted with some extra foam padding. The backpack I have holds a complete 5x7 camera with a few compact lenses and maybe half a dozen filmholders. When I use the 8x10 I have to carry the bellows in a separate shoulder bag.

Naturally, the camera needs to be disassembled, but it only takes a minute or two to set it up on the tripod. The advantage of this set-up is that it is easy to carry in the backcountry.
    I'd be interesting to see a pic of that if possible Sounds like a great idea. What size laptop would that require? I assume a 17''.

Since I haul my stuff around in a cheap backpack, I usually mount my camera atop the trip, and then sling the whole thing over my shoulder rifle-style. If you're concerned about anything falling off, then you haven't attached your camera properly. I've walked for miles with this configuration.
    I was actually thinking about that today, how safe would it be to move a few hundred meters to a possibly better location. So I take it it is safe. Thanks!

Claes Uhnér

Quote Originally Posted by ramiroelena View Post
    I'd be interesting to see a pic of that if possible Sounds like a great idea. What size laptop would that require? I assume a 17''.
    I have to admit that I’m such a Luddite, at least regarding photography, that I don’t own a digital camera.

But you’re correct; the backpack is made for a 17'' laptop. I keep the film holders in the computer compartment. The 5x7 back standard with the bellows attached goes in front of that, then a sheet of foam rubber, and next the front standard and the rail. I keep the last two items separated by a strip of foam rubber.

I pack the dark cloth and the lenses on top of the camera. Light meter, compendium, loupe et al goes in the outside pocket.

multiplex

tenba45 car case it holds the camera upside down and has storage
    on the sides for pretty much everything you will need
    ( except for a ladder or tripod )

i also use it to transport a folded up 5x7 camera in the middle part
    when i am not using the 4x5 ...