Thread: X-Rite ColorChecker Passport for scanner profile?

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport for scanner profile?

Hi everybody,
    I have an Imacon Photo printer which I generally like,however I have been struggling with scanning color negative film.Imacon have a setting for Kodak Portra ,but give a noticable cast which I had a hard time correcting.It s even worse with Fuji negative films for which it does not have settings.
    So,I was wondering if anybody looked at X-Rite ColorChecker Passport and if it has a potential use for making film/scanner profile?
    Your input is appreciated.

Re: X-Rite ColorChecker Passport for scanner profile?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Steinberg View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I have an Imacon Photo printer which I generally like,however I have been struggling with scanning color negative film.Imacon have a setting for Kodak Portra ,but give a noticable cast which I had a hard time correcting.It s even worse with Fuji negative films for which it does not have settings.
    So,I was wondering if anybody looked at X-Rite ColorChecker Passport and if it has a potential use for making film/scanner profile?
    Your input is appreciated.
    I don't really see how the Xrite Software may be applied to scanners.

Don Bryant

I was thinking that I could shoot a target with the film I am interested in,scan it to 3F file,convert to DNG (I am not sure if this is possible,but may be you have an answer to that),create a profile for Camera RAW and do correction in Camera Raw.
    Does it make any sense?
    Thanks.

I was thinking that I could shoot a target with the film I am interested in,scan it to 3F file,convert to DNG (I am not sure if this is possible,but may be you have an answer to that),create a profile for Camera RAW and do correction in Camera Raw.
    Does it make any sense?
    Thanks.
    I don't think you can convert a 3F file to DNG. Why not just purchase software for profilling a scanner? That sounds way easier and less expensive considering your time.

Don

Don,
    I also would prefer more direct way to calibrate Imacon scanner,but I am not aware of software which would allow to do it.I know silverfast does not support Imacon scanners.
    Which software do you have in mind?
    Thanks,
    Vlad.

Gilbert Plantinga

Out of curiosity I've tried this with my Imacon, and either I screwed up or it just doesn't work. Ordinary profiling software, essential for transparencies and reflective scans won't help with color negative film. And as noted, most of the supplied film setups (they are not profiles) in Flexcolor aren't very good either.

BUT, if you have a Color Checker, not necessarily the Passport, though that will do just fine, there is a way to make your own setups for specific films under specific lighting, and it's so simple and so obvious that I really wish I'd thought of it:

http://www.michaelfoxphoto.com/Resou...neg_setup.html

Don,
    I also would prefer more direct way to calibrate Imacon scanner,but I am not aware of software which would allow to do it.I know silverfast does not support Imacon scanners.
    Which software do you have in mind?
    Thanks,
    Vlad.
    You can't use a Faust target and xRite software (not Color Checker) to create an ICC profile?

Don

Gilbert,
    Thank you very much for the information.I am definitely going to try it this technique.

Don,
    Faust do not do targets for negative film and monako profiler do not allow to make profile for negative film as well.
    Vlad.

Gilbert,
    Thank you very much for the information.I am definitely going to try it this technique.

Don,
    Faust do not do targets for negative film and monako profiler do not allow to make profile for negative film as well.
    Vlad.
    Nobody makes targets for color negative film. I assumed we were talking about positive transparency for scanning.

Perhaps this is the product for you

http://www.pictocolor.com/incamera.htm

From their webpage:

Note on scanning color negative film: Since IT8 targets are not available for color negative films, scanner profiles cannot generally be made for such media. However, the clever photographer can circumvent this limitation in certain situations by using inCamera in a special way.

There are certain situations (for example, school portrait photography) where profiling can be brought to bear on an "untouchable" area of color management: color negative film. If you shoot a frame containing either of the ColorChecker charts, followed by your "normal" images, the processed film can be scanned by a color negative film scanner, producing positive RGB digital images. You may then build a "digital camera" profile from the image of the ColorChecker, and apply this profile to all other images shot at that same time.

I assume if you used the ColorChecker software you could build a camera profile that could possibly be used in ACR or LightRoom when editing a TIF or JPG although I'm not sure that option is offered for non RAW files.

Don