Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In praise of the Zone VI Standard Tripod

In praise of the Zone VI Standard Tripod

I've had a chance to use a Zone VI Standard tripod over the last couple of days. What a joy. Even though it's heavy and bulky, it's easy to carry over your shoulder, as the large, flat legs spread out the weight. The legs are very quick and easy to adjust, and once the huge feet are sunk in the turf, the whole setup is tremendously stable. I'm sure that Ries tripods are great, although I've never used one, and I love my Gitzo's for some things, but for out in the field, forest or stream, the Zone VI is hard to beat.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: In praise of the Zone VI Standard Tripod

Yup. Won't be selling mine anytime soon, but it does need a rebuild. Need to get to that this year.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I have no desire to sell mine either. For the price they were a good value.

I'm reminded of my first encounter with the late Ted Harris. It was a Fine Focus workshop and I had my 8x10, Zone VI Standard Tripod, bag of 6 8x10 holders and a lens bag. I was changing locations to a spot perhaps 50 yards away. I grabbed the camera, holders and lens bag while Ted volunteered to be my sherpa and lug the tripod. Bless his soul, but Ted NEVER mad that mistake again. Lugging that tripod 50 yards was enough.

I sure miss Ted....

I miss Ted, too.

Never had the courage for a Standard, myself. I suffer enough with the Lightweight. Mr. Bowen has me convinced to treat myself to a Ries, since there's a model that's taller than the lightweight. Us 6'6" guys are sensitive to tripod height, especially with bad backs, one of which I own.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Ted was a great guy.

I had a Lightweight (ha ha) for a number of years. I didn't like it very much. It was less comfortable to carry and harder to adjust leg height.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Ted was the nicest person on the forum and he did a nice scan of a difficult 8x10 slide for me in 2007. I'm glad everyone remembers him. As for the Zone VI, well, it looks heavier than I am. I was a bit scared that my new Ries J100 would be too small to support an 8x10 Arca after reading some comments here but it seems to be just fine with that load.

When I need a work out I put the Old Zone VI 8 x 10 on the old Zone VI standard tripod and go for a walk down to the beaver pond. The Zone VI standard tripod weights the same as the current 8 x 10 camera and tripod I use.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Richard, watch out that those beavers don't get hold of your Zone VI tripod. My old wooden surveyors tripod was chewed by beavers at the cabin in Passadumkeag ME. when left under the carport for a couple of weeks!

I have the full size Reis (A series) -- I do like the wood! It has taken a beating that would have dented metal and shattered carbon fiber. And the 8x10 (Zone VI) is held steady even on the most crazy places I have set it up.

Granted, not too many beavers up here in Humboldt County!

Vaughn