Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A sad, sad day for LFers in my country...

Paul Cocklin

Re: A sad, sad day for LFers in my country...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    What a lucky man you are!! Don't waste a minute, go and buy cheaply the developing machines from the last lab that went belly up and open your own lab for the E-6 processing. You'll be the only one in your country! What a lucky boy!
    Now that's a good, capitalist idea!

That idea is actually based on reality. I know 3 young enthusiasts who did this, even if the lab was not yet the last one. They are still going strong, local newspaper wrote about them several times and they even expanded their service into scanning, digital printing from scans etc.

Haha, that's Kodak E100VS for ya, Lee!

Well, one of us spoke to the lab, and they told us the machine is built into the building (whatever that means). Also, it's supposed to be a dinosaur with no parts and service, which is why, I assume, they're abandoning it considering the very low volume of LF E6 done here. Friend says it's the size of a generator like the huge ones you see at fairs and such, which is probably as big as or larger than some of our bedrooms!

Anyone wants to come on over to my country and extricate a 4x5 development machine! LOL!

The hardest part about E-6 or any color process is sourcing the chemicals in small quantities. The E-6 5L is fairly easy to get in the States- but I don't know about Singapore. You might have to get the chemicals in huge sizes that only make sense if you run a lab.

neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    The hardest part about E-6 or any color process is sourcing the chemicals in small quantities. The E-6 5L is fairly easy to get in the States- but I don't know about Singapore. You might have to get the chemicals in huge sizes that only make sense if you run a lab.
    As mentioned above the tetenal kit is quite inexpensive, will do E6, and not too hard to find. Eg in australia http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=31573 has it for about US$70 per litre (no affiliation). I also see it on ebay........
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

I do my own E6, 35mm, 120, and 4x5. It's not terribly difficult, and the process is more tolerant than some would have you believe.

Christopher.......have you contacted Kodak's office in Singapore? They have always been the distribution center for SE Asia and you should be able to get chemicals directly from them. Years ago I when I lived in Taiwan, any special orders I made for chemicals paper, film, etc were shipped from SG to TW instead of from the US.
    Last edited by CantikFotos; 26-Apr-2010 at 10:38. Reason: spelling
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

I aim in singapore too. I did my own processing 4 x 5 and 120/135 rolls E3/E4/E6/C41 many years ago, I use tray (own build) 5x7 inch in size and Paterson tank for rolls. Those days we easily can buy 2 litres kit set of chemical from kodak. Now is 5 litre size.

Must diq out my old tray again. haha.

That's really surprising to me; I know Singapore is a small country, but it seems to have a larger per capita of photography enthusiasts than most.

If you wind up sending film abroad, I can recommend IQ Lab in Bangkok. Looking at their price list, it's only SGD$3 a sheet for 4x5 E-6. As it is, here in the States I send my large format color stuff across the country (from Florida to California), which is about twice as far