Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback appreciated

Feedback appreciated

I'm new to posting in this forum, but, I've learned a lot from reading it over the past year. I'm in the final stages of a website I have created, and I feel as if I need some constructive criticism. I'm not sure that my site is easy to navigate, and, I'm concerned that it doesn't look professional enough. If anyone here would be gracious enough to review it, and provide me with some ideas, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

One more thing, the site is still under construction; I have not yet included options for paper type, print size, cost, FAQ, and my biography. The site should be ready by next week. Thank you.

Adam

www.adamhirschphotography.com

Re: Feedback appreciated

Nice looking site Adam. What is the goal for the site? Are you looking to create a brochure or e-commerce site?

Good luck

Jo

- - -
    Wide Format Media

Thank you, Jo. I am looking to sell my prints, and possibly do some commissioned work. I'm trying to decide how to structure it, b/c some of my work is done digitally (HPZ3200,) and some is done traditionally, in the darkroom, on fiber. I'm not sure how to phrase the wording on my site. I want different price structures fothe two different types of prints, but, I need some guidance on how to phrase it. Thank you.

Adam

I agree, nice looking site. I have one suggestion. The automated slide show seems slick, but has the drawback that if you decide to open one of the smaller images, just as "its time is up" so to speak, you will likely get the wrong image and you really don't have much scan time of the smaller images. I much prefer a "scroll" capability for the smaller images to you can spend a bit more time deciding what to explore further. Just my opinion though, and I've been told from time to time it's of little value.

Bob,

Thank you for your words; yes, I agree on the ability to click on the picture you choose. Any idea on how to separate the digitital prints from the darkroom prints, re: pricing?

Adam

A few brief things. Looks good overall, but here are the things I'd change:

I don't get why there are filters only for drinking, glasses, modern on the left side of the gallery. I'd leave that out altogether.

I'd like to see a "next image" button when I'm looking at a large image. going back to the gallery to click on a thumbnail is kind of annoying.

When it comes to large format work, I think it needs to be shown bigger. The image size for your vertical images does not convey the amount of detail that makes any of these images different from smaller form factor, in fact, it makes some of them look out of focus or blurry. You may want to make them bigger or sharpen them a bit more for web display.

The naming of your images seems haphazard and is not going to help with people searching for your images. Give them each a descriptive title. "Moonrise over Hernandez" has a better ring to it than "3295.jpg". It will help searching and likely sales.

From an e-commerce perspective, I'd add:

1. Explain on the homepage (which is the first point of call for many of your visitors) what's the site all about. If visitors can purchase from the site, then make it clear.

2. Increase your credibility levels - add terms and conditions, testimonials and as you accept PayPal as a means of payment, use PayPal's logo on your homepage.

3. Add more information under the services, FAQs etc

I hope this helps

Jo

- - -
    Wide Format Media

Japan Exposures

Agree, nice site. Yes, you should be clearer. Perhaps add or replace "Browse the gallery" with "purchase prints".

I like this filter approach but somehow it is fiddly to use. People may give up in frustration.

Oh, and you HAVE to work on captions or titles. "9291.jpg" is just not going to entice anyone on spending their money.

The enlarged view seems almost too large and I cannot scroll horizontally to the left to see the image boundary.

Add "incl. Shipping" to the price if that's included. Makes it more obvious.

When viewing the cart contents, show more images. Keep people interested in browsing.

Good start, try tweaking.

I think this is a good site. You have set the tone and feel of the site pretty well. I definitely think you need better image names/captions - something more descriptive of the actual image. Also, your blog doesn't work right now, but I understand that's going to be a work in progress though you should put up some sort of "Coming Soon" message. From an e-commerce standpoint, maybe some sort of call to action, like messages calling the visitor to buy now or take advantage of some sort of sale or promotion.

Keep us updated with your progress, the site looks promising!

Nice site overall, Adam. But I'm hoping that "The Art of Photography" is just a placeholder for some other title/header that you're planning to use later. Perhaps I have a warped perspective, but I regard that phrase as well past trite, and not likely to make a desirable first impression on someone looking to buy prints. That exact phrase produces almost 3 million Google search results, and if your prints are worth buying, I shouldn't need you to tell me that they should be regarded as art. The alternately black and white words also strike me as a jarring design sin that sort of confirms that impression, which is not really befitting your work.

I surely hope that doesn't seem mean, because it's truly not intended that way.