Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LF around Portland, OR, USA

Re: LF around Portland, OR, USA

Since you are a backpacker and like mountains you might consider climbing a ways up or around Mt Adams. Just take I-84 to Hood River, cross the bridge and head up to Trout Lake,WA. There are lots of trails around Mt Adams which are quite beautiful. Alternatively follow the Climbers trail on the south side of the mountain to Lunch Counter. From the far west part (climbers left) of Lunch Counter you will have a great view of Mt St Helens and the whole landscape to the West of the mountain. You will also have distant views of Hood and the rest of the Oregon Cascades. Lunch Counter is a great place to setup camp and then you can climb Adams the next day if your feeling ambitious.

lazy retired bum

Sorry Tom, check the Mt St Helens website, Johnston Ridge is closed until May 16! It is beautiful but only if you can get in, and if it's foggy, well...

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by tom north View Post
    Bruce,

Head north on I-5 to Mt. St. Helens. It's a 1.5 hr. drive. Go all the way to Johnson Observatory, park, hike about 1/4 miles to the east and you will find yourself looking straight into the mouth of Mt. St. Helens volcano. This is the wildest thing you will ever see.

Best

Tom
    It's the Johnston Ridge Observatory, and watch for snow and ice on the road. The last time I checked (over the weekend), the forest service indicated that the Spirit Lake Highway is open up to the Hummocks trailhead, so you might have to hike the Boundary trail (it branches off of the Hummocks trail) in order to get to the Johnston Ridge Observatory. It's not a terribly difficult trail, though the footing is a bit uncertain since a lot of it is pumice.

If you're more ambitious, you can attempt to get a climbing permit, rent some snowshoes from REI or similar, and head on up to the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Head up the Gorge. Take I-84 east out of Portland, and then take the Corbett exit and drive up to the top of the hill to the town of Corbett and then turn left and head east on the Old Columbia River Highway. You'll get to Crown Point first, then stop every mile or so when you see a pull out and a waterfall. Stop and hike around Latourell, Multnomah, and Wahclellah Falls.

You can pretty much ignore the Washington side, and when you get to Cascade Locks, head back to town.

That will take most of a day to do it justice, so do what you can.
    I did this. Excellent suggestion, I especially liked the view down east up the gorge from the first viewpoint. I came back to that on the way back to Portland and caught some decent light. Maybe. Won't know until I see the film on the light table.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    Bruce

I go to Portland 5 or 6 times a year for work and bring a LF camera with me often when I go. I believe it is one of the most photographic cities and areas in the US. If you want an really enjoyable hike that is somewhat strenuous but not outrageously so, take the three mile or so (don't quote me on that) hike back to Punchbowl Falls. I think it is one of the most beautiful in the Gorge.
    Managed to get out and do this hike as well. Excellent! Punch Bowl fall is indeed beautiful. Well worth the effort! Good thing I had my steel shank hiking boots though -- those little pointy rock would be killer in running shoes!

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Head over to Cannon Beach from Portland, about a 1 1/2 hour drive, maybe in time to get to the Ecola Point lookout (at the north end of Cannon Beach) at sunrise for one of the nicest vistas on the coast looking south along the ocean and buttes/mountains/hills to the east.
    On my way out I did manage to sneak in a couple of hours at the coast -- all at Ecola Point. Fabulous! One of the best beach views I've ever see. I managed to get there near dusk on a stormy day. The light was nicely dramatic, the fog and haze and clouds were excellent!

Nice tip. Wish I'd had more time. Weeks more. Sigh...

Thanks for all the tips people!

Bruce Watson

Nice tip. Wish I'd had more time. Weeks more. Sigh...
    Good reason to come again soon. Look forward to see some work from your trip.

jan

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    ...I managed to get there near dusk on a stormy day. The light was nicely dramatic, the fog and haze and clouds were excellent!...
    The best time to be at Ecola from my experience. I am glad that you had a good and fruitful visit. Next time you are in the Columbia River Gorge, you will have to take the short hike to Ponytail and on to Triple Falls. In summer, McNeil Point on the west side of Mt. Hood is fairly accessible and stunningly beautiful. Good views are also available by car at Cloud Cap Chalet and Timberline Lodge. Two hours to the southeast brings you to Smith Rocks with climbers and dramatic rock formations.

There is so much here...you've simply got to come back!

Steve