Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I can't say you lied to me...

I see in black and white.

So I can't say you lied to me...

This IS addicting. Jesus. I've given up completely on 4x5 now. Might as well just sell the ratty Speed Graphic because it's going to sit, unloved, in my kitchen. I've found my place in large format photography and it is big.

I'm not in a hurry to move up in format, but I'll admit to looking around. I'm attempting to sniff out bargains if I can.

One camera I've been doing some research on tonight is the Century Universal 8x10. It seems to me to be a great combination of lighter weight (as in I could stick it on a slightly modified Tiltall with no problems) and movements. It can also be had for under $500...when you can find them, that is.

I read part of the thread about the restoration of one from late last year and...yeah...that pretty much sealed the deal. I may have to look for one.

Of course, let's hope that this is sometime, you know, next year...and not two months from now because one popped up on Ebay for pennies.

Oh, and don't even get me STARTED on rough old Anscos. I have the lust. And damn it all, you guys are all enablers.

Re: So I can't say you lied to me...

Haha thats the way Stephanie, keep on walking down the rabbit hole. Will 20x24" be enough??

I know someone in VA that is keen for a speed graphic...

Big Negs Rock!

Don't even think about Carbon Transfer or PP. You'll get the itch and move on from 8x10. I thought the V8 Dorff I bought would be the end, and I placed an order with Hugo yesterday for the 11x14 Chamonix.

MW in Pasadena still falling down the rabbit hole...........................
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Hi Stephanie,
    It's a great camera and worth waiting for. Have you run across this link?
    http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic.../CU-Patent.pdf

I see in black and white.

I'm watching Deardorffs and an Ansco, but I really think I want to wait to see if I can find a Century Universal. I know that there isn't really a shortage of them so if I wait long enough one should appear at a price that I can actually afford.

That one Deardorff, though. Red bellows. I love red bellows...

You pays your money and takes your chances..........

Ansco 5x7. Or similar. Ken Lee makes 5x7 negatives that sing. Lenses are cheaper & easier to find. Pay no attention to the lack of film downers. You only need one. Ilford offers two.

Calumet all metal 8x10 something or other. Cheap & heavy unless you stumble across the magnesium version.

Kodak 8x10 Master View. Heaven. Expensive.

Ritter 8x10 & reducing backs. When you hit the lottery.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Yup, the old wonderful Ansco 5x7. Got one, can't find lens boards, probably have to make some myself.

Calumet C-1 (magnesium type) only slightly lighter than a cement block. Love those big negs. My white orchid on a white background won a Best of Class in art at an orchid show a couple of weeks ago. Wish I had an 8x10 enlarger.

Got a Toyo 45A and a 45G. B&J Grover with those red bellows. Speed Graphic, too. Can one have too many cameras? What's next?

Feeling your pain,
    Paul

Two words.....Deardorff.

you could say that again. i never really gave a thought to either ultra large format or panoramic cameras, but now i absolutely must get a 7x17!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I'm watching Deardorffs and an Ansco, but I really think I want to wait to see if I can find a Century Universal. I know that there isn't really a shortage of them so if I wait long enough one should appear at a price that I can actually afford.

That one Deardorff, though. Red bellows. I love red bellows...
    If you wait on a Century Universal it may be quite a while before you get into 8x10. I looked for one in good condition for over a year and never found one. I came across maybe 2 or 3 total but they were real beaters. I did see one in very nice condition on ebay some months back but I'm no longer in the market so I passed. Deardorffs are great cameras IMHO, I've owned two. I also owned a 5x7 Agfa Ansco and it was a very nice camera too but bulkier than a Deardorff and not as easy to operate.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.