Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: But Film Now - Stock Up - Won't be around Long!

But Film Now - Stock Up - Won't be around Long!

I suggest we all bone up on alternative process photography. Do-it- yourself is the future for traditional photography. There's even a newsleter on this theme, "The World Journal of Post-Factory Photography." Info can be found on the net.

"Digital is MUCH better than analog sound, despite what the purists and their Sondek TTables say". This is not an audiophile forum so I won't turn this into an audiophile debate but let me disagree with you vehemently on this statement, Richard, and I am no purist. I will just say that you have not heard a good analogue set up, Linn Sondek or not. Let me just say that you have to qualify your adjectives. Anytime you use adjectives like 'MUCH better' (emphasis yours) you open a huge can of worms. And it is the same in digital versus analogue photography. So let's not make blanket statements like that. We, vinyl buffs, are not delusional and the superiority of analogue versus its digital equivalent in quality are real, and often in areas which you least expect.

I am writing this to register my protest at a blanket statement, not to start an argument.

Hi all Yes ,right and the wheel will be replaced by a digital version too. Manfred

You silly people, film will always endure. How many beta cassettes do you see anymore? There might be a few, stuck underneath the Super8 reels of the world. And who wants their wedding pictures on Photo CD? B&W in particular will never go away, and is even today blossoming from all the new emulsions out. Let's face it, if Kodak's only concern was popular demand, B&W would have gone away in the 80's. For every one professional photographer out there who develops his Tri-x in a Jobo, there are probably 500 civilians who develop their Max 100 at Wal-Mart. And don't gripe about some chem or another going away, off the top of my head I can name 9 or 10 different Kodak developers that have been around since the Ice Age. Besides, if you really need to get that perfect push-processed, solarized B&W reversal, you could actually mix it yourself as we all had to do in the ELDER DAYS. Remember the ELDER DAYS anybody? Or you could stop being eliteist and reach for that bottle of Ilford or Agfa or BloggsCo or whatever... Anyways I am through ranting now. 35mm forever!

I wish the folks at Kodak would read this and get in touch with the real customers.

I can only compare them to GM when it comes to being out of touch.

Another alternative is for the people who really love photography buy up the stock, boot the board of directors and the yo-yo's who are mis-running the joint. Put people who really care about photography in control. Let the bean-counters go count somebody else's beans.