Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help wanted in identifying a Century Studio/Stand and moving advice please!

Help wanted in identifying a Century Studio/Stand and moving advice please!

I have taken the unavoidable step of "winning" a studio camera on its stand. I think it is a Century. I enclose the relevant photos. I was looking for a Danish studio camera (the Norka) - but Emil seems to have cornered the market some time ago. Can anyone identify the likely model? As you can see it been mounted with the usual 13x18cm sliding back with a 300mm Heliar on a later board. To me, anyway, it looks like it will take a 8x10 back.
    The big question - as I have to drive quite a few hours to pick this up - for those who transported these dinosaurs is:

Does the table tilt right up or down, or is it easily taken off? These would ease the transport arrangement a lot!

Re: Help wanted in identifying a Century Studio/Stand and moving advice please!

Hi Steven - I don't know what you mean by me having cornered the market some time ago... (if it was me you were referring to, that is..)

I have no Norka's ... would LOVE to own a couple, as some of them were awesome!

I don't know your new camera, but to me ot surely looks like the table can be turned into a vertical position...

Congratulations--Looks like an 8x10 Century studio camera with a 5x7 reducing back on a Semi-Centennial 1a stand. Nice condition, too. The wooden bar that supports the platform is held in place with a pin. Remove the pin (near the crank) and the platform will tilt all the way up. Once it's tilted, you have access to the hinges and you can unscrew the platform from the stand. Then you can unscrew the nut on the bolt at the rear wheel and then unbolt the two rear cast iron pieces. At this point you can probably transport the pieces if you have a fold down seat, a roof rack, or a larger vehicle.

Sorry Emil, I promise I'll let you know if I find a Norka up in Sweden where a lot were sold - I have a summer house up there. But you have a lot of big cameras though!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Sorry Emil, I promise I'll let you know if I find a Norka up in Sweden where a lot were sold - I have a summer house up there. But you have a lot of big cameras though!
    I do.. I do...

(thanks)

Thanks Barry! It seems like I can manage with my old Toyota without having to drag a trailer around. Just need a tool set and I'll remove the back seats before I set off.

I have my 11x14 Century in my studio now and it's a joy to use for portraits and still lifes. I don't know how I got by without one. Start thinking about what you might want to mount on those 9" lens boards.

I already have the lenses!
    360mm Heliar (well my son's actually!), 600mm Plasticca, 18" Port-land and a 16/18" Graf Variable, 18" Landscape meniscus plus lots of Apo Cooke and Wray process lenses. I suppose I will have to think about bellows extension for some.

funkadelic

Is Eddie hauling these things around the world? If you said it had an 8x10 back, I'd swear I saw one of these in his garage (errrr, I mean studio) a few weeks ago. Send him a PM. He's got a stand that looks similar, if not identical from my memory.
    He should be able to offer suggestions, if not specific details about movement/design.
    Chris

Eddie is in the Netherlands at the moment. No, this isn't one of his. I suppose I might be joining his group puchase for a bellows if the extension is not enough?