Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finishing the setup of my D2 Enlarger

Finishing the setup of my D2 Enlarger

I have a D2 enlarger with a Chromega D Dichroic II head. I've managed to scrape together all of the major parts that I need. I have the 2-3/4" lens cone and a 135mm Beslar enlarging lens. The cyan dichroic filter is missing, but I think I'll leave it as-is unless I decide to do color prints in the future. I can get by with the Y and M filters for VC prints.

The lens doesn't fit quite right in the lens cone. The hole in the cone seems slightly too large. The lens mounts nicely in the flat plate that I have, but the cone doesn't seem to take a removable plate. Any thoughts on this?

The lens cone itself sits pretty loosely in the enlarger. What is the proper way to mount the cone?

I think the enlarger needs to be aligned. How do you align one of these enlargers and are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

My negative carrier doesn't seem to be right for my enlarger (despite the ebay description...). It has flat sides, which I assume are for the newer enlargers, and lacks the notches that I've seen on the older carriers. It is a nice glassless carrier, so I'd like to make it work if I can. Is it a good idea to try to cut notches to make it fit? Are there specific ways that I should go about doing this?

Re: Finishing the setup of my D2 Enlarger

The lens should be mounted in a small round lens disc and then that is fastened onto the cone with screws. On mine, the cone slips up into place and then you turn it 90 degrees and tighten up the thumbscrews. I think maybe you should look around on the web for a manual for your enlarger.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Ok, I guess I'm missing the thumbscrews that hold the cone in place. I'm sure I can find something to improvise if I can't find the proper ones.

The lens cone doesn't seem to have screw holes for a lens disc like the flat plate that I have does.

I've managed to locate a manual that I'll take a look at tonight.

Hi Chad-- You can find alignment instructions at http://www.darkroompro.com/pdf/enlargers/omega_d2.pdf It's much easier with one of those Versalab laser alignment boxes, but they're kind of pricey.

I wonder if you have the correct lens cone. The cones for the autofocus Omega enlargers are a different size, but I don't think they fit at all, so maybe it's not inserted correctly. Is the hole in the cone threaded? The cones I have all accept lens discs, but maybe your was made for a specific thread size.

Do you have the size measurements for the carrier? Is it completely rectangular? if so, it may fit another enlarger. Some photos would be helpful in diagnosing your problems.

The negative carrier I got is this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170419981018

Here's the link to the cone:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170428686299

I don't have the budget for any extra alignment equipment, so I'll have to see what I can figure out.

Don't know what enlarger that carrier is for, but it looks like the hinge part is too big to fit. On the other hand, it seems like it might be too small in some places for the head to seal against (light leaks?)

I have a flat board like the cone you have. Supposedly military surplus, the lens "disc" is welded on. If the lens mounts securely, I wouldn't worry too much if there is some room to give in the hole size. Otherwise, you might try getting a lens disc like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Omega-421-001-Le...mZ350160420234

And screw/bolt that onto the welded-on plate on your cone.

You should send a PM to the forum member Heroique, I bet he can help you find thumbscrews for the cone. I think he also is selling a 4x5 carrier.

The negative carrier doesn't look like any D2 carrier I've ever seen. I may have a spare 4x5 carrier--I'll check. The cone looks right, but you may need to add another intermediate plate.

Hmm, I don't think that's a carrier that would fit my d2v. Can anyone identify that as an Omega product?

As for the cone, it looks right, but uncommon. Typically, the cone's underside (the side shown in the photo) would have four raised "bumps," positioned near the center hole, at the 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock positions. And in the middle of two of these bumps (opposite each other) you would find a drilled hole, where the removable lens disc, w/ its own two holes that align, would screw on.

Is the piece (w/ the bracket) which is attached to the cone's underside removable? Indeed, it might be welded as awldune says.

Also, can you measure the diameter of the cone's hole? Perhaps it's a common mount size, so you wouldn't need a disc for a second lens, just the lens' retaining ring.

I think I can jury rig the lens cone to hold my lens properly with a little bit of effort. As far as the negative carrier and thumbscrews go, Heroique just happens to be selling the negative carrier I need and has some thumbscrews.

I'll give the enlarger a thorough examination this weekend as I learn a bit more about how everything works. I need to make sure I'm not missing any other little bits and pieces.

I could probably stand to get some black foam tape and touch up things like the bottom of the head where it meets the negative carrier.

What I really need to do this weekend is go out and make some negs to actually use on the enlarger.

In the Zone VI newsletters, Fred Picker says use four pencils to align a negative stage.