Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panorama with 4x5

Panorama with 4x5

I have seen some interesting shots taken of the Brooklyn bridge with a 4x5 that were panoramic. The photographer mentioned that he used half the film (2x5) for each shot. How does this work? Do you just cut a dark slide in half and expose each piece? Would light not leak under the slide?

Re: Panorama with 4x5

You need to cut it slightly smaller than in half. You also can't cut the area that normally sits in the light trap to make sure it creates a light-tight seal.

Toho makes pre-cut slides for this purpose - a little pricey.

...or just crop a full 4x5 sheet when printing. Then you don't need to buy and carry extra stuff.

Doremus Scudder

Thanks for the replies. I asked about the modified dark slides because I am looking to shoot a dyptic with the same image exposed as a panorama on the same sheet of film, so I will have to fiddle with those recommendations.

I tried it recently with an old darkslide I cut in half, worked like a charm.

I did this years ago. Had TAP plastics cut me out a 2" slot out of the middle of a darkslide. Not sure why I did that... why can't you just make some markings on your GG and simply CROP an original sheet of film? I don't get it?

Now, If you actually want to utilize the entire sheet, top and bottom, I can understand that. However, keep in mind about the effects light fall off or vignetting depending on the lens you use. In other words, (and again depends on the lens with WA lens more of a problem) if you use the upper half of the piece of film, you could have more light fall off in the upper left corner compared to the lower right corner.

Another option is to stitch 4x5's in PhotoShop, which can certainly be done and it's not that difficult.

Lon

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Overacker View Post
    I did this years ago.

Lon
    Nice work Lon!

Don Bryant

SF Bay Area 94303

Stitching is the easiest, but you don't get to see the whole thing on the ground glass.
    KFry

Quote Originally Posted by mcguireek View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I asked about the modified dark slides because I am looking to shoot a dyptic with the same image exposed as a panorama on the same sheet of film, so I will have to fiddle with those recommendations.
    I use a self-modified dark slide to this, but with 8x10. Two 4x10's on a sheet of 8x10 film. Works fine -- one just has to keep track of which half has been exposed, double check the way you put in the half-slide, and don't forget to put back the full-slide before removing the holder from the camera. I have made all those mistakes and some at the same time!

One also has to compensate for the little bit of slop here and there -- the film moves around quite a bit in the holder, and the slide has a little slop in its fit, too. I need to "calibrate" my GG for the 4x10's. Usually not a problem, but occasionally I have an image that is not quite framed properly (as I saw it).

I used a metal dark slide for my 8x10 -- very durable. I used one made of the standard material and eventually broke it somehow. So don't just toss it in your pack/bag like I did!

Vaughn

4x10 --
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x10Redwood.jpg