Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest/easiest way into 8x10?

Re: Cheapest/easiest way into 8x10?

Yes a 'dorff is the way to go, but if were on a tight budget I'd take an Agfa Ansco Universal, Green Monster or B&J (in that order, in like condition)

There's nothin' wrong with Arista .eduUltra(Fomapan) either.

For a lens look for a 14" Commercial Ektar,250 WF Ektar, 240mm to 355mm G Claron, 12" Dagor, 14" to 19" APO Artar or a convertible like the Wollensak 1A or Symmar.

For holders the old Kodak black woodys usually work pretty good.

Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

My first "cheap" 8x10" set up was a Calumet C1 (Green Monster) + Nikkor 300 M, I was very happy with the C1, I still have it...the only "problem" is with shortest lenses, since the C1 focuses only with the rear standard, so with extreme wide angle you need a loooooong neck ...

Then I purchased a Sinar F2 8x10", I've been using it for the last couple of years, but recently I'm considering selling the Sinar and "going back" to the C1...don't get me wrong, the Sinar is a great camera, very precise and with lots of movements and for this aspect everything is easier, but it is much more cumbersome than the C1 and lately for me it's a real pain going around with the Sinar...

Ciao!!

Marco

there is a wood 8x10 camera for like 300$ in the classifieds. there is also a 12 0r 14 inch com ekta for less than 200$. go look there 1st.

e
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Even at $3 a sheet and doing your own processing, using 8x10 as a LF learning tool is kind of expensive. I'd suggest nailing 4x5 first. Once you do that you won't have any trouble moving to 8x10. There isn't any real difference in using the two formats, it's nothing like the move from roll film to 4x5, everything is just bigger.

My first 8x10 was a Deardorff, still my all-time favorite wood camera in any format. But since you're interested in less expensive, the C-1 that others have suggested is probably your best bet in terms of low cost and availability. The Agfa Ansco someone else suggested would be good too if you can find one. I had the 5x7 and it was a very nice camera. The only thing I didn't like was the folding tailboard, which made it kind of bulky and difficult to fit into my backpack.

Another good choice would be a Kodak 2D if you can find one with the tailboard that isn't too expensive. I wouldn't buy one without the tailboard unless you shoot mostly with short focal length lenses. But with the tailboard they're very nice cameras (no front tilt so if that's a movement you use a lot it might not be your best choice).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    My first "cheap" 8x10" set up was a Calumet C1 (Green Monster) + Nikkor 300 M, I was very happy with the C1, I still have it...the only "problem" is with shortest lenses, since the C1 focuses only with the rear standard, so with extreme wide angle you need a loooooong neck ...
    What I did on my C-1 for the short lens issue is what Christopher Burkett did on his black beast.I bought another 'beater' C-1 off the bay for parts, and cut down the rear rail.I now have two rails that can travel with me and be quickly replaced depending on lens length.My C-1 is the heavier black one made of aluminum.The lighter green ones made of magnesium are much more elusive, and I've never seen one for sale in the kind of condition my black one was in (like new) with all the accessories (compendium hood, dark cloth frame, reducing back, and owners manual)I paid around $450.00 for it, and the guy even threw in a Nikkor 480mm process lens free!The deals are there if your patient. If you can find a green one, make sure it is magnesium as there was a period of time they were painting the aluminum ones green as well.They are very easy to strip down and clean if you need to.This is a picture of mine with the normal rail in case you didn't see it in the 'show off your camera thread' and below it a picture of Christopher Burkett and his wife Ruth with their Black Beast.I highly recommend his book 'Intimations of Paradise' for a glimpse of some superb color landscapes shot on 8x10 chrome.

what a tripod and head in the last picture with Christopher Burkett and wife!!!
    anyone can point me to the brand/model?

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Gazzoni View Post
    what a tripod and head in the last picture with Christopher Burkett and wife!!!
    anyone can point me to the brand/model?

thank you
    Here is the link to the company that makes his tripod.http://www.sachtler.us/?id=1108 I don't know the exact model, but they are VERY VERY expensive!

That's funny, he could buy a stack of C-1s for what that tripod cost.

It really should be on a heavy twin-shank Majestic tripod given its heritage and looks.

Hey Welly

I have been through the same thing and decided to stick with 4x5. It is easy to get stuff and it is not expensive, most films will be available forever because there are a lot of 4x5's around. It is much more practical. I have been wanting a 5x7 but once you get another format you are maintaining 2 systems, more lenses, more holders, more film in the fridge. More money to pay. But oh, it is so tempting. Just take that ring off your finger and get some perspective for a while.

Really, what can you do with an 8x10 that you can't do with a 4x5. There is a lot of stuff you can do with a 4x5 that you cant do with an 8x10. A sinar 4x5 is excelent for very close up work, and for not much you can get a very nice new chinese field camera that will be light enough to carry anywhere. Also remember that to get this stuff to NZ costs a lot, once you have cleared customs and paid GST, double a USD price and that is about what you will pay in NZD. For someone elses junk. And you pay again on the other end when you find it sits in the cupbord and they are not paying a fair price on trademe. If you are shooting colour you are just going to scan the neg anyway at some stupid low resolution otherwise you end up with files that choke your computer. Really the only advantage is in contact printing and that can save you some money if you have not already shelled out for a scanner and a printer. Clearly an 8x10 contact is better than a digital print or even an enlargement, a lot less hassle too, but seriously, you will soon tire of them and then it will be an 11X14 and platinum prints.

Save the money and spend some time using the one you have already. If you really have to spend money then buy more film holders.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    That's funny, he could buy a stack of C-1s for what that tripod cost.

It really should be on a heavy twin-shank Majestic tripod given its heritage and looks.
    So true lol! I went for the Ries for mine, worked for Brett Weston.I figure if I can't shoot like Brett, at least my rig can look like his