Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest/easiest way into 8x10?

Re: Cheapest/easiest way into 8x10?

Burke & James they rock!
    Are versatile und most of the time cheap. They even better then the cult cameras of Deardorff!

Cheers Armin

For good reasonably priced 8x10 lenses, I like the 12 and 14-inch Commercial Ektars and the older Schneider Symmars, although the Nikkor 300-M has the advantage of a modern Copal shutter. The 14-inch Ektar is particularly nice for portraits.

What gets expensive is all the extras. Five good holders so you can load a 10-sheet box; a larger Harrison changing tent, a heavier tripod (#5 Gitzo w a Sinar pan-tilt head); some sort of carrying or storage case (the Liteware or Tenba view camera cases cost around $400 new and are the best way to fly or car travel with the beasts).

I heartily recommend staying with Sinar but you might consider buying a used Sinar 8x10 outright and either keeping the redundant parts as spares or selling off the extras, since parts usually command a better price than their wholes in today's market.

Don't forget you'll want about 30" of rail and having the extra standard available is very nice should you want to make a lenshade or use a Sinar shutter with barrel lenses.

And finally, watch out for the differences in the size of the backs and bellows between the F2-P2 MB metering bellows and the Norma-F-P non-metering bellows. Suck it up and get the 8x10 rear end - consider the P version because then you'll get 90% of the advantages of a geared camera since you do most moves with the rear (and the 8x10 rear gets heavy!) Don't forget about the very nice and solid Norma version. And if you do get a conversion kit, ponder how you will get enough front rise from the front standard without having the extra long legs that come with the 8x10 version?

When you're all set you can do all of the above for about $2000 if you're careful.

Then you can have the joy of shooting $7 per sheet film too.

Earlier on I've had the 8x10 C1 ($200); the Italian Fatif (really nice quality but slightly broken) $175; an early deGolden Busch (worst camera design in the world) $200; and a cheap Korona. Ilex Paragon lenses and wooden holders, rusty old tripods, etc. and I've shot with dark cloths draped over patched bellows. They can be fun if you have cheap film and don't mind tinkering, but if you really want to shoot and not worry about the equipment functioning properly, cut to the chase and drop the coin to do it right.

If you don't like it or can't afford it, you can always get your money out and stay even.

Bob Bauer

consider an 8x10 cambo.

for some reason, these are the rodney dangerfield's of the large-format world, garnering little respect, and this is reflected in the low prices they typically sell for.

I've had a couple of both their 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, and while there's no denying that they're not as elegant as some of their higher-priced cousins, they're just as functional and surprisingly expandable. The square-railed monorail models are your best bet and the most mechanically reliable vs. the Legend series with geared movements.

I was going down the same path a bit back. I believe the F2 has the long legs, I know my old F is a bit lacking.

$7 a sheet, don't scare him off. Its about $3 sheet for HP5+.

Tiny bit more for TMax400.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    And if you do get a conversion kit, ponder how you will get enough front rise from the front standard without having the extra long legs that come with the 8x10 version?

When you're all set you can do all of the above for about $2000 if you're careful.

I see in black and white.

I'm seeing $5 for TMAX 100 and $4 for HP5. Foma 100 is less than $3 a sheet. The Arista rebranded is $2. This is all from Freestyle.

But yeah, I think it's worth it if you want to contact print and like the aspect ratio of 4x5. Personally, I'm holding out for when I win the lottery since I'm falling in love with 5x7; when I move up it'll be 11x14!

Octogenarian

A huge advantage to adding a Sinar 8x10 conversion kit is the ability to use the same lens boards for both 4x5 and 8x10.

Sinar-type lens boards are not inexpensive, and changing lenses to a different brand of lens board is a PITA,

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I'm seeing $5 for TMAX 100 and $4 for HP5. Foma 100 is less than $3 a sheet. The Arista rebranded is $2. This is all from Freestyle.

But yeah, I think it's worth it if you want to contact print and like the aspect ratio of 4x5. Personally, I'm holding out for when I win the lottery since I'm falling in love with 5x7; when I move up it'll be 11x14!
    check, B&H under $80 for 25 sheets of HP5+

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I shoot that x-ray film, costs about $.30 a sheet - and it looks it!

You can use paper too ;-)

But... ten sheets of my favorite film (and the best film ever made), Kodak Portra 400NC in 8x10, costs $74.99 at B&H. There is nothing else close, it makes some shots possible that you simply can't do with 100 ISO film.

Quote Originally Posted by Armin Seeholzer View Post
    Burke & James they rock!
    Are versatile und most of the time cheap. They even better then the cult cameras of Deardorff!

Cheers Armin
    I own both and the difference is night and day. One is a precision tool , the other takes photos after a fashion.

Own a Deardorff and you might never go back to your Sinar. Problem is, to get a decent Deardorff, you'll probably invest at least a grand. I got mine for 1500 dollars with two Ektar lens in great shape, working shutters, a 4x5 back, another 200 dollars got me a 5x7 back and a set of 4 new plastic 8x10 holders. All my other cameras (except my personal favorite 3x4 rb Graplex and a 4x5 Speed) will be soon fixed up and out the door. They are superfluous.

Cheers,

tim