Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 8x10 enlarger?

Which 8x10 enlarger?

I am currently looking at three enlargers, all 8x10, and would like to hear some opinions. All three have dichroic heads. They are:
    1. Fotar w/Chomega F Dichroic II head - complete except for lenses - appears in excellent shape -$600 and 700 miles.
    2. Omega Super Chromega F Dichroic II - complete w/three Rodagon lenses - appears in very good shape - $350 and 500 miles.
    3. Durst Laborator 184 W/recently CLA'd dichroic head - missing cooling fan unit, no lens - I looked at this one personally and it appears in good working condition and has three mixing boxes - $300 and 250 miles.

I've got the time and help and the vehicle to go get any one of these units - though distance is a factor because of a truck which only gets 12 mpg. The prices appear reasonable especially for the Durst and Omega machines. I'm leaning heavily toward the Omega because of the lenses. The enlargers would be used strictly for black and white. Input, opinions and disparagements are invited and welcome.
    -Chris

Re: Which 8x10 enlarger?

If the durst needs a external cooling fan it is probably a cls300 head. These have some issues. Hard to find bulbs, a lot of heat, not the amount of light you need for 8 X 10 and the light is uneven.

The Fotar is built like a bridge. Huge, simple and strong. The Omega is like a scaled-up 4x5 D2, with an angled column; thus smaller and easier to move. Either way the Dichroic II head gives uneven light distribution- when you see the way all four lamps are on one side of the head you'll understand why. Not a deal killer- there's a simple fix if it becomes a problem. I've made many hundreds of big color prints from each of those enlargers, and either will do the job. I'll leave comments about the Durst to those who know them well.

The Fotar attracts me exactly for the reason you mention Mark - straightforward, (relatively) uncomplicated and built like a tank. Interesting that both you and Gary mention light distribution issues for two totally different heads - is this a problem for 8x10 design in general?

If you live in USA i'd go with Omega. I love my Durst, but it is kind of like owning a Ferrari.
    If it were me I'd pick #2, the Omega chassis and Omega head which are both current production. In fact that setup was top on my list but there were none available near me.

Getting the 3 Rodenstock lenses will also be nice. It will be frustrating paying $$$ on fleabay for these big lenses knowing you could have a box of them for free had you gone with another enlarger deal.

I can't comment on the Omega head, but, I would think you would be able to adapt just about any 10x10 head to any 10x10 chassis.

The CLS1840 and CLS2000 heads have perhaps the most even light source ever produced but are no longer in production (whereas theoretically the Omega one still is 'current') and, again like owning a Ferrari, the reflector alone is $1800 if you need a new one.

You are very lucky to have 3 to choose from! You can't go wrong with either of those at those prices.

ic,
    For some one who has posted in such extensive and loving detail about their Durst that is an impressive endorsement for the Omega. I know any machine will have its faults and idiosyncracies but this match up will be for life so there is plenty of time for adjustment - though it will all be one sided!

The Omega is brighter on the side where the lamps are. It's not often a problem but when it is... the answer is to make a graduated ND mask that fits above the neg carrier. Easier to do than describe. All these machines are "professional-grade' and should work very well for you. Do a search on this forum for ic-racer's Durst experience and realize that "he's the man" on this subject.

Mark,
    Thanks for the heads-up about the lighting issue and it's solution - I'll pay attention to this.

Quote Originally Posted by civich View Post
    ic,
    For some one who has posted in such extensive and loving detail about their Durst that is an impressive endorsement for the Omega. I know any machine will have its faults and idiosyncracies but this match up will be for life so there is plenty of time for adjustment - though it will all be one sided!
    I also have 2 Omega 4x5s (and a Ferrari )

I think with the Omega you are in a unique point in time in that the F is still a current production machine (and USA made). I think that weighs more than anything those other enlargers may offer. http://www.omegasatter.com/Product_I...d=4566&cid=158 http://www.omegasatter.com/Product_I...d=4567&cid=158 (links points to the Omega Satter site showing "Add to Shopping Cart" a new Omega F Chassis for $11,354.67 USD and the "F" Dichroic Color head for $7,196.60 USD)

I know I'm going to tell my kids and grandkids "I lived through the time when you could buy a brand new 8x10 enlarger off the internet"

Two things that would favor the Durst, in your list of 3 choices, would be if it had a CLS 1840 or CLS 2000 head or if would be a local pickup for you.

Have fun, post pictures!

ic,
    Would you mind if i came and test drove your Ferrari before I buy the Omega? Just to - you know - make sure I don't want the Durst.