Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: in praise of 8x10 on epson v700

Re: in praise of 8x10 on epson v700

You can try single-sided, anti-glare picture framing glass. This is the kind with a texture on one side. You never want to use this to frame your photographs with, as you'll lose sharpness and contrast, but it often works as an inexpensive substitute for anti-Newton (Leibnizian?) glass.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hodos View Post
    What glass are people buying for "the pennies method"? I'm just getting into 8x10 and I'm not into spending $250 on a scanscience kit quite yet. A betterscanning mounting station is what I use for 4x5, and my optimal focus plane is around ~1.8 mm. I'm fine with dry mounting to a piece of ANR glass...

What would everyone recommend on the cheap?
    Most framing stores sell an anti-glare glass that works in this application as well as AN glass, IMO. Just have a piece cut to the dimension of you scanner bed so that it will fit neatly into the area. Then you can dry mount directly tot he AN side of the glass, or if you want to do a bit better you can fluid mount to the bottom/clear side of the glass, with the AN side facing up toward the light. If you fluid mount and determine plane of best focus this will give you as good a result as you can get with the Epson V700.

If your negative is 8X10 you will have to choose ilm area guide, which will set the "high resolution" lens. If your negative is 6.5X8.5" or less in size you can choose film holder and the software will set the "super high resolution" lens, which will give higher resolution to the tune of about 600-800 dpi.

Results are not going to match a drum scanner but if you do a good job of processing the scan file you should be able to make a very good 32X40" print from your 8X10 scan.

Appropriate post-scan processing technuqye of the image file, which includes sharpening, tonal adjustments, clean-up, etc. goes a longer way to determine final print quality than the resolution of the scan.

Sandy

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hodos View Post
    What glass are people buying for "the pennies method"? I'm just getting into 8x10 and I'm not into spending $250 on a scanscience kit quite yet. A betterscanning mounting station is what I use for 4x5, and my optimal focus plane is around ~1.8 mm. I'm fine with dry mounting to a piece of ANR glass...

What would everyone recommend on the cheap?
    I've been using the V700 to scan my 8x10s and so far haven't had any problems with newton rings regardless of which side I place face down.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Most framing stores sell an anti-glare glass that works in this application as well as AN glass, IMO. Just have a piece cut to the dimension of you scanner bed so that it will fit neatly into the area. Then you can dry mount directly tot he AN side of the glass, or if you want to do a bit better you can fluid mount to the bottom/clear side of the glass, with the AN side facing up toward the light. If you fluid mount and determine plane of best focus this will give you as good a result as you can get with the Epson V700.

If your negative is 8X10 you will have to choose ilm area guide, which will set the "high resolution" lens. If your negative is 6.5X8.5" or less in size you can choose film holder and the software will set the "super high resolution" lens, which will give higher resolution to the tune of about 600-800 dpi.

Results are not going to match a drum scanner but if you do a good job of processing the scan file you should be able to make a very good 32X40" print from your 8X10 scan.

Appropriate post-scan processing technuqye of the image file, which includes sharpening, tonal adjustments, clean-up, etc. goes a longer way to determine final print quality than the resolution of the scan.

Sandy

Sandy

Hi All,

Thanks for the tip about the picture glass. I'll see what I can find. focalpoint has AN glass for $100 that fits the scanner bed; I'll see what I can find in anti-glare picture glass.

Sandy,

I wasn't aware that the resolution goes down on the V700 when you scan 8x10... seems more and more to me that 8x10 is not "just like 4x5 but bigger"

Not to hijack the thread, but where would I go to learn more about post-scan processing technique? I feel very deficient in this area with all formats. (hmm maybe I should start a new thread for that as well).

Thanks!

-Mark

[QUOTE=Mark Hodos;573878

Not to hijack the thread, but where would I go to learn more about post-scan processing technique? I feel very deficient in this area with all formats. (hmm maybe I should start a new thread for that as well).

Thanks!

-Mark[/QUOTE]

I would recommend The Creative Digital Darkroom byh Katrin Eismann and Sean Duggan, published by O'Reilly Media.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Katrin Eismann is a very reliable author, although I haven't read the book Sandy recommends. The Real World Photoshop series is also pretty good. If you'd rather see video tutorials, kelbytraining.com has some good ones.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Sandy and Peter,

Thank you so much! I'll go look into those on Amazon. Thank you again for the help!

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by JC Kuba View Post
    I've been using the V700 to scan my 8x10s and so far haven't had any problems with newton rings regardless of which side I place face down.
    Hi JC,

I'm not so worried about Newton Rings as I am about hitting the optimal plane of focus.

I'm definitely going to try just laying it flat on the glass as well, now that I know it worked for you.

Thanks!
    -Mark

Mark,

My scans seem to be "sharp enough" for 13x19 prints when I just lay the 8x10 on the glass, but I haven't raised the negative off the glass to see if it I could get a sharper scan. If you experiment around I hope you post your results. I've read where people have found optimum focus to be above the glass on the 4990, but haven't heard similar things about the 700/750. I guess it would make some sort of sense for the manufacturer to error on the side of it being above the glass as opposed to it being below the glass in which case you would have to get inside the unit and adjust the lens to focus heigher.

Try a scan emulsion down, and then try a scan emulsion up. It doesn't have to cover the whole negative. Compare scans. If the emulsion up one is sharper, then the focus point is above the bed. If they are the same, it's probably close to the bed. There seems to be a fair amount of variance from scanner to scanner.