Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Carrying Large Format Gear on a Motorcycle

Re: Carrying Large Format Gear on a Motorcycle

They put some really heavy loads on small motorbikes all through Asia and South America, so the bike will handle it. The key is to make sure the load is distributed evenly and securely over the bike - from saddlebags to handlebar holder to tank bags to the seat behind you. I'm sure there will be a way to do it.

A number of years ago I set up a BMW 650 Dakar to carry a 4x5 kit. I used an old Zero Halliburton case. On the bottom of the case is a sheet of 3/8 ensolite foam to help protect the equipment from vibrations. On the top I mounted four strap loops and four bungee buddies. The strap loops are to strap it down to a Best Rest rack. The Bungee Buddies are for anything extra to carry on top. The loops and buddies are from Rider Wearhouse. This rig allows me to ride the back dirt roads in the Smoky Mountains. For this kind of riding you want the ROK straps. They are flat nylon with elastic built in. Do not trust bungees for camera gear.

I then moved to a BMW 1150 G/S that has a solo seat and the same Best Rest rack. The tripod goes in a tripod bag behind the solo seat. I have Jesse bags for all my other stuff but the camera sits flat and protected behind the seat. Finding a rack that I would trust to carry a 4x5 on a small machine tough. You might try carrying the camera in a photobackpacker bag and slipping that in a set of Dirt Bagz.

BTW, when on my bike I leave the good cameras home and pack a bulletproof Crown Graphic w/90, 135, 203 and 270 lenses. The Xenar 135 and Ektar 203 are as sharp as anything, just not much coverage. Still, carry a set of small screwdrivers and some loctite.

Be aware that the rear subframe on some of the small bikes are not made to handle much luggage. That's why the long distance boonie bashers like the heavy 650's. A KLR , XR 650 L or DR 650 can carry a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rhoades View Post
    Do not trust bungees for camera gear.
    I've got a tripod somewhere around the northernmost Lao/Vietnamese border crossing that can attest to that

Some other thoughts on motorcycles and L/F. Jwaddison mentioned the heavy loads seen on scoots in Asia and distributing the load. Absolutely. What was left unsaid is some of the reality. The Honda Cub 50/90/100 now made by Sym is the most popular bike in the world. I think some 65 million. The most modern version is the Sym, known as the Symba here in the US. It has 101.4cc, 6.7 horsepower, 5 ft. lbs. of torque @ 6,000 rpm, a top speed of 56 and a weight capacity of 200 lbs.

When seen in Vietnam with the owner, his wife, kids and 47 chickens loaded on board one could expect a top speed of 20. And it will not handle as the frame will flex like a fly rod. There are a lot of extra welded brackets to hold the load and broken shocks a fact of life, as are flat tires.

Even the reknown world traveler, a Kawasaki 650 KLR, is known to shear the rear subframe bolts under heavy use. That's why a bolt upgrade is standard action in setting the bike up for long distance travel. The smaller, lighter, dirt and dual sport bikes are not made for heavy capacity use. A CBR is a lightweight road bike made to scream through corners scrapping pegs and any other low hanging parts. Throw on some packed bags and a 4x5 on a cheap rack and you have turned it into a flexible flyer. You then have to change your riding style or learn the hard way about roadrash.

I started on a Honda Cub 50 and a TLR 43 years ago and went up to a 1800 Gold Wing with a V-8 Deardorff. Now it's mostly a Beemer G/S with 4x5 Graphic. Photography and motorcycles. These are the best two things you could put together.

Have fun and be safe. ATGATT