Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebony Mirrors

Ebony Mirrors

The coolest thing on an Ebony, IMO, is the mirror-level thing. What a great tool, an obvious help. I'm thinking of adding them to my other camera - a Canham 8x10.

Does anyone know where to get these? Are they available?

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Michael Alpert

Re: Ebony Mirrors

I don't think Ebony sells the mirrored-level unit apart from their cameras. In a world where everyone steals everything, I agree with their business practices. I would only add that from my point of view "the coolest thing" about an Ebony camera is the whole package.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    I don't think Ebony sells the mirrored-level unit apart from their cameras. In a world where everyone steals everything, I agree with their business practices. I would only add that from my point of view "the coolest thing" about an Ebony camera is the whole package.
    It is an awesome camera.
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Photographer

I tried to buy one a few years ago and was told by the US rep (Ian?) that they do not sell separately. I wonder whether you could find a really small woman's compact and adapt it. Probably would not be titanium, though!
    Keith Pitman

Can someone post a picture of one?

Ya. What are we talking about here? Sounds interesting.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post
    Can someone post a picture of one?
    Here is the mirror on an SV810U I used to own...

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Ya. What are we talking about here? Sounds interesting.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    The mirror is just a flip-up thingy on top of the rear housing that allows you to actually see the level that's on top of the rear housing with the camera on a tripod, unlike some other cameras (e.g. Linhof Technikas) that have a flat level on top of the rear housing that can't be seen with the camera on a tripod around eye level and so are essentially useless. The mirror/level was the only thing that was really special and nice about the two Ebonys I owned (a 45Te and a 45Ti). They were otherwise very unexceptional cameras that cost quite a lot of money.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If they'd combine that with a cigarette lighter and USB port I might be interested.
    Besides, it's not even ebony, it's just metal. Sheesh...

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    The mirror is just a flip-up thingy on top of the rear housing that allows you to actually see the level that's on top of the rear housing with the camera on a tripod, unlike some other cameras (e.g. Linhof Technikas) that have a flat level on top of the rear housing that can't be seen with the camera on a tripod around eye level and so are essentially useless. The mirror/level was the only thing that was really special and nice about the two Ebonys I owned (a 45Te and a 45Ti). They were otherwise very unexceptional cameras that cost quite a lot of money.
    Brian,

Just about every time an Ebony camera is discussed here, you pipe in with the same song and dance. As I understand it, at least one of your Ebony cameras was purchased used and perhaps in slightly damaged condition. You had these cameras for only a short period of time. Also, you have said a number of times that you much prefer Linhof all-metal rigs. I also think that those Linhof cameras are terrific and beautiful, but to use them as a measure to judge wooden field cameras is idiotic. The two are different species, with distinct assets and liabilities. Everyone here has heard your tune. Enough!