Thread: Headless Omega D4

Headless Omega D4

I have the opportunity to get the structural portion of a D4 enlarger without the head (for free). This interests me because I've noticed that there are a lot of Omega 4x5 enlargers available online, but they are extremely heavy and freight would be a couple hundred dollars. I'll just take the thing and put it in storage until I can find the remainder of the necessary parts to make it work.

My question is what parts do I need to look for? I don't know whether I need a D4 head or if I can substitute other D series heads. I am not very knowledgeable about enlargers in general, so is there a good resource that lists the major components I need to pay attention to (power supply, negative carrier, lens, etc)?

I intend to do B&W enlargements of 4x5 negatives primarily, but I may try playing with color processing in the future.

Octogenarian

Re: Headless Omega D4

harlekin,

I was given one of these, too. Do your homework well before you snag the D4. They were a 'beefed up' version of the D3 Autofocus to support the bulky first generation color head. I've been told the new generations of color heads will fit them - they come up for sale on occasion. Since this is also autofocus, you need the focus track and lens cones to match the lenses you plan to use - they are available, but not inexpensive. Best I can tell, there is no easy way to put a condenser head or cold light head from the other D's on the D4.

I got a near mint D6 with lenses and a bunch of negative carriers for $50, so the D4 is now history.

Another great source of info here:
    http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

I seem to have found a Omega D Dichroic II head, mixer, and power supply that should go with the enlarger. Now I need to figure out what sort of lens I will need so I can collect the appropriate parts. How do you determine what lens you need? I will be using 4x5 negatives and have no idea what size prints I will be making.

Quote Originally Posted by harlekin View Post
    I seem to have found a Omega D Dichroic II head, mixer, and power supply that should go with the enlarger. Now I need to figure out what sort of lens I will need so I can collect the appropriate parts. How do you determine what lens you need? I will be using 4x5 negatives and have no idea what size prints I will be making.
    You can go with 135mm or 150mm lenses. Each would take a separate cone and focus track. I'd look for the cone and tracks first then buy a 135mm or 150mm depending on what you can come up with.

I'm pretty sure that even with the 150mm you can get a 16x20 enlargement.

For more info on the cones and focus tracks you can search around under "D3" which was a more common enlarger.

I just set up a friend with a D3 and Super Chromega II head for 4x5 use and it works great. We went with a 135mm lens because the chassis came with a 135mm focus track.

Ok, I have the base and columns lined up, as well as the Dichroic II head, mixer, and power supply. I have found a 135mm lens with the 4.25" cone and the appropriate focus rail. Are there any other parts that I will need to have?

Quote Originally Posted by harlekin View Post
    Ok, I have the base and columns lined up, as well as the Dichroic II head, mixer, and power supply. I have found a 135mm lens with the 4.25" cone and the appropriate focus rail. Are there any other parts that I will need to have?
    Negative carrier and easel and you should be set. Did your power supply come with the Omega timer bolted on top ? If not you may want to get a timer.

They made a glass negative carrier and a non-glass. For 4x5 I'd get the non-glass carrier as 4x5 film is thick and holds pretty flat in the carrier.

If you see a glass carrier I'd pick that up just to have.

Good luck, seems like you have made a good setup.

I don't have the power supply in hand yet, but from the picture it looks like the dumb supply (on/off switch only). I'll keep my eyes open for a timer, they seem to be dirt cheap.

The local film store has an omega 4x5 negative carrier for sale. It's one of the old unpainted ones (silver colored), but I'll have to look for the part number. My guess is that it's intended for a D2. Would that work in the D4 or do I need to keep looking?

On a related note, I seem to have lucked into a Paterson Orbital processor and motor base. I'm thinking my first prints will probably be 8x10, as I think that's the largest that will fit in the processor.

If you can't find the original type Omega timer that fits on top of the power supply make sure you plug the timer output (which usually is 120V) into the back of the power supply with a female end of an extension cord. That will be the power for the main bulb only. The cord that comes out of the power supply and goes to the wall is just for the fan and the little indicator bulb. That cord does not go to a timer.

I believe all the D carriers fit the same enlargers except those for the D5500, which are all black and hinged.

Thanks for all of the information. Now I just need to wait for everything to arrive so I can try my best to actually put it all together and see if it works.