Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Ministry Lenses and Dallmeyer

Re: Air Ministry Lenses and Dallmeyer

Well, you wrote "heliar." That's how the Pentac came in. The Aviar is in the dialyte family. Not at all like a tessar or a heliar. Another cult lens, though, whose virtues I've never seen. But then, I'm an ignorant barbarian.

About dogs, I don't have one in any fight. I do, though, have a fair number of Tessars (some made by Zeiss, others by B&L, even one Krauss) and tessar types, use some of 'em. At the moment one of my 85/6.3 B&L's is at Grimes having its little Compound overhauled.

About Eric, he says nothing on his site about whether a lens or good or bad. He just does ray-tracing calculations based on the prescriptions as published in patents or, in the case of some Boyer lenses, from the company's archives. The curves speak for themselves. The closest he comes to expressing an opinion is in his assessments of coverage, which are consistently smaller than manufacturers' claims.

About using good, bad, or indifferent lenses. Wide angle lenses possibly excepted, for most purposes a so-so lens is better than good enough. This is, though, no reason to choose lenses likely to be worse than so-so. To get back to Pentacs, someone, probably J. G. Motamedi, has reported finding most of a moderate-sized sample of wartime 8"/2.9 Pentacs unusable. And Eric's calculated curves for EKCo's heliar types are consistent with how the two I've had shot; not that sharp and not as much coverage as expected.

I did write heliar and I guess that was a mistake but you should have corrected the heliar/aviar not tell me about the pentac
    Pentac has nothing to do with nothin
    cant be mad with someone for what amounts to an education but
    thats loose

For whatever reason I still equate Aviar with Heliar
    probably not for the actual design but for a similar "signature look"

I don't know what a ray tracing is but it sounds boring
    Curves? uh no

I saw a chart with "fast" lenses ..and most of em were only mediocre/crap in performance wide open
    still good enough for many people to use em

Stopped down I expect tessars -most all lenses- to be pretty good no matter who built it
    This 355mm is a chunk, though. I didn't expect it to be quite so large but with how well the glass has now cleaned up I consider it a fine purchase and really even if it had stayed a mess I still would have been ok with it
    $20

It was Motamedi
    http://motamedi.info/speed.htm

I have a sironar-N 150, grandagon 90 4.5, cooke 158mm, 275 celor that I like
    It's not about buying cheap hoping to find a diamond
    I have lenses already
    I thought a 355 would be interesting to check out
    210 to 275 was a big jump and the 355 is a nice jump, too
    only it's clear that I'll have to buy a telephoto design
    that's OK as I'll be able to go even longer and get something even more suitable
    osaka 400mm or something

and I suspect anyone even using the word barbarian to be one themselves
    Not in my vocabulary
    just doesn't mean anything
    to me

Friend, most people are barbarians by definition. Everyone who is not a native speaker of Greek is a barbarian. I'm a birthright barbarian and proud of it.

Re y'r whateverac, how could you possibly go wrong for $20?

Hello,
    somehow, this pretty informative thread is lacking one crucial info:

Which format does the 14" F5.6 14A/3140 Air Ministry lens cover?
    Was it used in 9" film cameras or in 4.5"? Will it cover 8x10 or even 11x14?

I´d be tempted to add this lens to my aerial lens fleet for my 11x14 wet plate camera. The 20"F6.3 and the 36"F6.3 already work very well, but my research makes me believe the 8"F2.9 and the 12"F5.6 were designed for 4.5" film and I´m unable to find info on that 14" lens inbetween.

Regards