Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polarizer or Yellow-Orange filter, Guatemala

Drew Wiley

Re: Polarizer or Yellow-Orange filter, Guatemala

I dislike the effect of polarizers, but if you do take one make sure its a sealed Kasemann type so it doesn't get fogged up in a humid jungle. Apparently we have very
    different definitions of high altitude. I typically carry along a multicoated UV or skylight
    filter for distance shots with color film above 9000 ft or so, but rarely use it. Basically,
    I'd just carry the filters you use for everyday work and not worry about it.

Take both, along with light yellow, medium yellow, orange, medium red, green, and any others you should already have in your kit. It's not as though they weigh 10# or take up significant space, you know.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Glenn Mellen

From a heavy user of filters (and a predominantly color film user):

I use a polarizer on most day-time images shot. Not only do they darken skies (if the angle to the sun is at or nearly over your shoulders), but they increase saturation and remove reflections on foliage. I'd definitely use one on jungle-type scenes. On B&W's I often use with an orange filter in order to get dramatic skies without having them go completely black.

Main keys to using a polarizer to best effect:

a) You don't necessarily want to dial them in all the way... at times some reflections are desired. Play close attention to the effects the polarizer makes to the scene and dial in the effect as desired. Especially true at high altitudes...

b) Be very careful using them with extra-wide lenses... they'll create vertical gradiants as the angle fades away from 90% in the sky.

c) When shooting in very high elevations, the polarization effects gain strength and can render skies black even on color film if dialed in too strongly. I have a tendency to rely more on gradiant filters when shooting at high elevations (learned this after shooting at Crater Lake and having the sky and water go completely black).

The polarizing filter is THE most important filter to be concerned with quality... there's a radical difference between brands, and in general, you do get what you pay for. A $50 filter not comparable to a $300 filter.

About using only sealed Kaseman types... not sure about this necessity even in a jungle (and they're dreadful expensive). Have never had any problems with Lee, Heliopan (non-Kaseman) or Singh-Ray polarizers fogging in very humid conditions.

About the UV filter: I personally feel it's a useless filter with the exception of providing protection to the front lens element. They will have no effect to most scenes, except when shooting with long telephotos. I only use them in harsh conditions (blowing sand or salt water environs). The skylight filter falls into basically the same category... I'll use them only for lens protection, or for slightly warming electronic flash shots.

I'd personally take a polarizer, B&W filters, and also ND grads on such a trip... leaving the skylights and uv filters at home unless needed for shooting in hostile environments.

Thanks for the responses. While I will probably be a few thousand feet up most of the time, some of the volcanos do reach 9000+ ft, so increased UV light might be an issue, which is why I bought one. I dont normally shoot with filters, so i dont already have a kit. And I'm using a Caltar 300 f/5.6, with a 86mm filter size, so the filters can be quite pricey, so i cant buy 6 different filters. I was hoping to get away with one or two more.

Drew Wiley

Glenn has pretty much hit the nail on the head about using polarizers judiciously rather
    than blatantly. When it comes to SL filters, Singh-Ray makes different types. My biggest problem is with the current Ektachromes, which can get an annoying color shift at times at high altitude. A colorless MC UV filter seems to work for this. For black and white work or color closeups, I don't bother. On small formats a UV filter sometimes adds a little extra sharpness at distance with color films; but with 8x10 the
    improvement is negligible. When packing light I carry only a 25 red and XO yellow-green filter; seems adequate for almost every circumstance.

Don't forget that polarizers have a significant filter factor and that can be a problem if you are in rainforest areas where the light is dim to begin with.

I agree with the advice to take other filters also. I would take yellow, red, polarizer and especially GREEN. The green filter also has a significant filter factor but can be useful for lightening green foliage.