Thread: Retaining ring problem on Nikkor 210 W

Retaining ring problem on Nikkor 210 W

Hi,

I've just purchased a great condition nikkor 210/5.6 lens in a copal 1 shutter.
    Everything about it is perfect but it is currently on a wista lens board and I need to remove it from there to put it on my toyo board.
    The retaining ring is not one of the types where the notches are at the outer edges but they are slim and on the inner edge of the curved face.
    As such my flat lens wrench that has all the various copal / compur / seiko sizes does not fit it as the copal 1 width is to wide.

Can someone recommend what is the best tool to loosen this type of retaining ring with?

Thanks,

Marc

Re: Retaining ring problem on Nikkor 210 W

If it not too tight, you can add a little pressure to the front element, holding the retaining ring and twisting the front, it "may" release. Unless of course, King Kong did the original tightening.

Gently please

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    If it not too tight, you can add a little pressure to the front element, holding the retaining ring and twisting the front, it "may" release. Unless of course, King Kong did the original tightening.
    Be careful, some shutters are equipped with a positioning screw and a slot in the lens-board. If one turns such a shutter the shutter case can be destroyed.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by marcwilson View Post
    Hi,

I've just purchased a great condition nikkor 210/5.6 lens in a copal 1 shutter.
    Everything about it is perfect but it is currently on a wista lens board and I need to remove it from there to put it on my toyo board.
    The retaining ring is not one of the types where the notches are at the outer edges but they are slim and on the inner edge of the curved face.
    As such my flat lens wrench that has all the various copal / compur / seiko sizes does not fit it as the copal 1 width is to wide.

Can someone recommend what is the best tool to loosen this type of retaining ring with?

Thanks,

Marc
    The spanner wrench made by S.K. Grimes is the best tool IMHO. Not the least expensive but IMHO the best. There are two versions, one with pointed ends and the other with flat ends. If you buy one I'd suggest avoiding the flat-end version, get the pointed end instead (I've owned both versions). The flat end version will work fine with rings that have square or rectangular notches or holes but may not fit into circular holes. The pointed end version will work with both.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    Be careful, some shutters are equipped with a positioning screw and a slot in the lens-board. If one turns such a shutter the shutter case can be destroyed.

Peter
    That is a very good point. I remove the positioning pin so I can orient the lens/shutter in a position I want.

bob