Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big shutter help

Re: Big shutter help

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    Have you solved the problem of holding the board in place while you remove the dark slide?
    I didn't renew my strobes last year so no more f45 for smoke, steam and people.
    I'd like to put the Suter to work at f6.3.
    most of the time i use lenses short enough to enable me to use one hand for the darkslide and the other for the "shutter" board. 14 -16 inch lenses at portrait distance on 5x7 is easy and still doable on 8x10. i stretch a bit with the 18 inch lenses.

if your lens has a diameter of 4 inches i use a piece of board about 5-6 inches tall and 10-12 long. i have it a bit long so you have some "braking" you would hate to pull it right off the other end.

i will cut some cards and do some tests to see how fast i can get it to go. it was really easy to get 1/60. i had it up to 1/200 if i remember correct...alll using an 1/8 inch slot.

it is very repeatable as well.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

here are (hopefully) the images of the Zettor..

Downstairs

Thanks for posting pictures of the Zettor. It look just like my too-small Silens.
    I took a Silens to pieces yesterday, iris leaves and all. The works are cunningly simple and the screws minute. It's a watchmakers job.
    I'm getting info from Pakard for a front mounted shutter.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

...if everything else fails/ you want more shutter speeds than the Packard offers, you could also find an old Speed-Graphic, perhaps an incomplete/as-is type, as long as it has a working focal plane shutter; you could front mount that and even use it as a matte box/gel holder.... all gets a bit top-heavy though....
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

My experience tells me that the chances of finding an incomplete/as is speed graphic with a complete and working shutter with OK curtains is very slight! The demise of the shutter - followed by fixing attempts - is usually the reason they become "as-is" models.

Actually Steven it isn't as hard as you think, since a lot of later speeds get robbed of their graflok back for reasons that don't quite make sense (there can't be that many people building 4x5 cameras or converting old Super D or Series D SLRs). After buying three "junk" Speed Graphics I finally got one that was truly shot and could be converted to a front shutter. The other two were just missing a part here and there and were quickly resuscitated. All three had perfect working shutters. The old SLRs (and not just Graflex ones) almost always have dead shutters, maybe because they tend to be 20-30 years older than the Speed Graphics I buy.

I read this thread again, and seeing the suggestions on the Packard shutter, I wondered ehat camera you're fitting this to.

I have an old studio camera, and behind the front panel, there is a big, nice working shutter, made by NORKA (NORdic KAmera). A barn door system, working with a long extension cord with a bulb.

I have done many images with this, and it is working as a charm...

If interested, I can make some images of this shutter.....

Downstairs

Gandolfi, It would be great if you could do a shot of the Norka shutter. Recycling seems to be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    Gandolfi, It would be great if you could do a shot of the Norka shutter. Recycling seems to be the way to go.
    will do - but I have to sleep first....

Another possibility is Ron Tichner's front mounted shutter ... one of the participants at the Tonopah workshop was using one ... worked great and it allows for different speeds (unlike the Packard.) Another advantage is that the shutter just slides on and off of the lens. Clearly, one downside would be shooting in any wind ... the shutter has a pretty big profile.

A link to Tichner's post on this forum about the shutter is here [you'll have to scroll down after the page loads] : Link

Here are 2 other links ... the first to a shot of the Tonopah camera with the shutter attached and the second to a picture taken with the shutter at the workshop:
    Link 1
    Link 2