Thread: Sinar Boards New vs older Gray Ones and the Auto Shutter

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Sinar Boards New vs older Gray Ones and the Auto Shutter

Could someone please tell me if the older Gray/silver Sinar lens boards are any thinner than the current black variety. I couldn't get a current board installed into a Sinar Auto Shutter withiut removing the bottom holding clip first. I also notice that the bottom has a thin roll of rubber that the board is supposed to seat on. In my case it prevented insertion. Would the Gray Sinar board mount more easily? Could I cut out the rubber to allow attachment of the newer boards more easily or will that have an effect on the baffleing? Thank you!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Sinar Boards New vs older Gray Ones and the Auto Shutter

I have both versions of the sinar/copal shutter and the rubber gasket inserts are/were on both vertical sides of the "board" side. On the reverse side - the side with the mounting clips - there are signs that there has been one similar gasket behind/below the bottom fixing clip. These have long since been removed! Probably because of the same problem you have. Clearance is very little. I am sure the light baffling function will be intact without this rubber - which has probably hardened up through the years. I don't have the grey/green norma board to check dimensions - but I suspect it is exactly the same as the thicknesses I measured were 4 and 5mm exactly on the later black sinar board.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Re: Sinar Boards New vs older Gray Ones and the Auto Shutter

Thanks Steve, very hepful. I'll rip out the rubber!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain