Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for (press?) camera recommendations

Re: Looking for (press?) camera recommendations

Richard,
    If you are interested, I have a 4x5 stripped-down Crown, with mahogany body refinished, and which takes regular wooden lens boards, has a top leather handle, Graphic spring back, and weighs only 3lbs (2lbs less than a fully equipped Crown, and probably half the weight of your pre-Anniversary Speed).

If you think this might fit your needs, let me know and I can email you or post more pictures. Just an idea; if this isn't what you are looking for, best wishes in your search.
    -Michael

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have a Meridian B that I plan to sell. And a Beseler 4X5 and a Crown Graphic and Horseman 980's (6X9 format.) No kidding! Collecting old press 4X5's is not a profitable occupation. (I am keeping my Busch Pressman D.) Let me know if you have any interest.

Thanks guys, the Meridian on ebay is actually fairly close to me, so I'll contact the seller to see if I can check it out beforehand. If not, I may take you guys up on the offers.

Michael, that camera looks very nice!

OT: Hey, Michael, how did you mod the front standard to accept flat wooden boards?

Mike--the lighttrap inside the lens board frame seems to be a pretty soft aluminum (or very thin steel). I started with a Crown body that somebody was ready to junk--no back, no rangefinder, no handle, and the leather-covered body was covered in copper oxide blisters--ugly as hell, looked like goose flesh. Oh, yeah--bellows full of pinholes. Anyway, with nothing to lose, I grabbed a pair of jeweler's pliers (my wife's), and grabbed the light trap and twisted--basically it just peels off. It's not neat, takes a little practice, but it does come out pretty easily. Then I put one or two layers of adhesive backed felt inside to cover up the rough, torn edges where the lighttrap used to be. A new wooden lens board made of 1/8 thick craft plywood fits like a charm.

The first one of these I did, I still have and use it all the time. I've done four or five since and have about four bodies and backs on hand to redo when I get time. One is almost ready--just need to put the new handle on, recover the door with a new piece of black, kidskin leather, and screw the spring back on.

hey mike, if you still have that super graphic for sale I'd be interested to know more about it.

Method Madman

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    I have a Meridian B that I plan to sell. And a Beseler 4X5 and a Crown Graphic and Horseman 980's (6X9 format.) No kidding! Collecting old press 4X5's is not a profitable occupation. (I am keeping my Busch Pressman D.) Let me know if you have any interest.
    If your Meridian is still on sale i'd be interested. Please PM me.

jan

a newer good condition crown graphic is a good choice. they are quite nice.
    If you have the money, just go with a Linhof press camera. metal body, easy to use, weigh not much more than a Graflex, and it even offers rear movements (on a press camera!)

Frank gives the best advice, I'd say. I recently sold my Shen Hao wood field camera and it was not much different in weight than my Crown.

They're well made cameras, inexpensive and offer lots of movements. Plenty of accessories, too, which offers you flexibility. They or similar brands are plentiful and won't set you back much.