Thread: Camouflaging a 1 CM Scratch

Camouflaging a 1 CM Scratch

I may be NUTS, but I recently purchased just the two cells and thin spacer of a 240mm G-Claron, and I'm told the rear cell has a 1 cm scratch. I'll put these two elements in my 180mm Copal 1 shutter and make the appropriate f-stop correction during use.

Isn't there a way to kind of camouflage a scratch to limit the negative effect of the scratch on the image? What I recall is using black, liquid shoe polish. I'd appreciate any recommendations on what to use.

I'm planning on using this lens on non-flare prone closeups. So, I'm thinking that the scratch shouldn't have too negative effect on images. Is this correct?

Re: Camouflaging a 1 CM Scratch

I've never had the occasion to try it, but I've read that a black magic marker type of felt-tip pen followed by a quick wipe down so it just gets into the scratch, does the job well.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I heard of using a black marker, tried it on a lens I had, and it worked pretty well. Coloured in the spot then wiped over the top with some alcohol. If you are only going to use it for closeups you might not even notice the minute reduction in contrast it will give you untouched.

I have seen - but can't remember where - a rear cell with at least 1 % damage all over the surface, not just edges. The holes, scratches and chips were filled up with black paint. The results were : "have no appreciable effect on imaging qualities"! Your damage sounds minor by comparison. I think the only problem with this sort of damage is resale value - not real user value.

Yep, the old formula was to fill the scratch in with india ink with a fine brush. Flat black enamel paint is what I would use personally.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Isn't there a way to kind of camouflage a scratch to limit the negative effect of the scratch on the image? What I recall is using black, liquid shoe polish. I'd appreciate any recommendations on what to use.
    The "classic" method is India Ink. It's really opaque and won't fade over time, or melt out of the scratch when it gets hot.

Dye inks (sharpies, various markers) are prone to fading over time (even if stored in the dark).

Bruce Watson

India ink. The hard part is cleaning off any excess while leaving the ink in the scratch. Patience will out.

India ink applied with a plastic toothpick - a wooden one soaks up the ink! Do it a little at a time and allow the ink to fill the scratch rather than "painting" it - sort of cappillary action?