Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: has anybody done any serious BW digital printing?

has anybody done any serious BW digital printing?

You are like a bunch of kids! JnNorman asked a legitimate question and got a few intelligent responses. After that the discussion was hijacked by your infantile, (and way toooo long) bickering on traditional vs. digital techniques. It might be due to the present economic climate, but it looks like you have too much time on your hands. If you ego requires bolstering why don?t you publish a book, or better yet get out and photograph! But grow up! Please!

geoffrey, in one paragraph you managed to insult us 3 times, you called us childish, stupid, and unemployed. Of course you do manage not to provide a single coherent tought on the subject, your post did not add anything to the discussion and all you can do is whine and complaint. If you had paid attention to Peter's posts you would have noticed that he does mentions he has done serious degital BW printing and we were discussing his choice and why he preferred the results. The choice of medium at this time is a very important part of this discussion and if it appeared tooooo long for you maybe it was because you could not understand it! So do me a favor and the next time you have a flash of moronic inspiration why dont you keep it to yourself? BTW if it was so boring, why did you keep reading the posts? This is the first time I see one of your posts and all you managed to do was to flame us....who the hell died and made you monitor and all around judge of what is interesting or not in this group, you dont like it IGNORE it!!! and keep your flames and hot air to yourself...

Hey Jorge and Peter - Thanks for hashing out all your points - it's a classic digital vs traditional argument, and helps me think about where I want to go. I want to investigate digital printing, but am afraid of losing quality and tonality rather than gaining it. I'm drawn to the better control of "dodging and burning" that Photoshop give, along with many other controls, and I also know that I want to be able to print more often with less time involved. At the moment I don't spend as much time printing because of all the setup required. This discussion helped me see that I can get even more control through digital and can also give me more good prints for the time I have.

Next question: what is the best sub-$400 printer and ink setup(ebay prices) to get a good start in BW printing? (Can I get 13" wide and quality at the same time?) Do I need a separate one for BW and color if I really want to do it well? And what scanner should I look for if I want to use 4x5 negs? Any good Internet resources you know to send me to?

Thanks! Paul

I haven't checked prices for scanners lately, but have you tried this for black and white ... Make an 8x10 print or contact print the traditional way, and then scan it using a good flatbed scanner. The bigger your original print is, the better your scan will be. 4x5 comes out good, 5x7 better, and 8x10 best. It's a stopgap, but can give very nice results while you shop for a film scanner.