Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing 8x10 at the kitchen sink

Developing 8x10 at the kitchen sink

I've searched around quite a bit and can't seem to find the answer to this... I have a small apartment and must do daylight developing (such as in a Paterson tank for roll film) at my kitchen sink due to constraints of space. My bathroom is not going to work.

What I was wondering as I get into 8x10 and would like to develop at home... would it work to develop one sheet at time in a Paterson 5-reel tank? Would it fit? Has anyone tried this?

John

Re: Developing 8x10 at the kitchen sink

Why not try BTZS tubes? They have a video showing how they work on: http://www.viewcamerastore.com/produ...roducts_id=790

John, buy a Jobo 3005 drum and a manual or electric roller base. That would be the easiest way.

The BTZS tubes are you answer. Look no farther...

And they are a zillion cheaper than a Jobo for a beginner in 810. Save your money for film.

I use BTZS tubes myself. They will work but are a little fiddly for use in daylight at a kitchen sink. You will need to load up the developer in the dark and make sure that the tubes stay up right so no developer touches the film. Subdued light would be best and you will still need a couple of 11x14 trays for stop and fix. So I thought the Jobo would be more foolproof and compact. There is a good video I saw recently of a guy using a Jobo expert drum on a motorized roller base for processing sheet film.

Should have mentioned... I've looked at the BTZS tubes before, but the demo on youtube seems to show them using trays for stop bath, fixer and wash. I simply don't have the room to do that. I also would rather load the film in the daylight tank in a changing tent. With the BTZS, I'm going to have to wait until night to switch the developer caps in my bathroom. Not very convenient. What I need is a Paterson style tank for 8x10, where I can do all the chemicals in one tank. Is the Jobo 3005 basically that? I'd have to buy all this used right as they are out of business?

You CAN develop the sheet film in a roll film tank. Remember to use the center column. You will have to try it to see if it gives even development. I did single 8x10 in a similar Jobo 1500 series drum for a while.

Now I use the 2800 Jobo print drums.

I suspect I have $25,000 equipment but I can't afford a Jobo 3005 tank (or refuse to buy one because of the inflated price )

Are you planning on using the Patterson tank upright or with rotary agitation?
    Rotary would use alot less chem.
    If you are OK doing one sheet at a time....
    You could also pick up an 8x10 Unicolor or Beseler print drum & motor base....Cheap.

I use a Unicolor processor and a Unicolor paper (print) drum. Check out Graywolf Phillips aricle on the LF Home Page by clicking on the blue banner at the top of this page. He soups 4x5 but the drums work just as well with 8x10 film. You can soup two sheets at a time in an 11x14 drum. About $30-40 should get you the whole shebang off of ebay. I wouldn't use a processor for prints though---heck, I've got to see the print magically appear in a tray or it just isn't fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Are you planning on using the Patterson tank upright or with rotary agitation?
    Rotary would use alot less chem.
    If you are OK doing one sheet at a time....
    You could also pick up an 8x10 Unicolor or Beseler print drum & motor base....Cheap.
    I was thinking about doing it the same way as with roll film, meaning yeah lots of chemistry. But at $6 per neg for my lab to develop...