Thread: Hello from Okotoks, Alberta, Canada

Thumbs up Hello from Okotoks, Alberta, Canada

I've recently decided to take the plunge back into large-format photography. Back in the late 80s I quit my job in order to pursue a career as a photographer. I was accepted into the Alberta College of Art, but after the first semester I realized that I could become wealthy making jewelry, so I switched majors. That was 20 years ago and now it has been 15 years since I've taken my large-format camera out of the case. That is all about to change, I am currently building a darkroom in my house and in search of a 4 x 5 enlarger. I dusted off my Ansal Adams book collection, and once I have the darkroom finished and a place to develop film I will be back at it. I am really hoping to be able to post a new image or two by the end of this month even if they are just contact prints for now.

Re: Hello from Okotoks, Alberta, Canada

Scott

Welcome from a little to the east. There is a Calgary large format user group with emails and they have meetings once a month. I have yet to attend a meeting as am 3 hours away and they are on a Tuesday night. I do not have the info here at work but it is perhaps a Yahoo group. I will post the name this evening or weekend unless Eric Rose or any other Calgary user does so first.

Go out and shoot while this weather lasts You have come to the right place.

Ivan from the Hat

Welcome to group therepy! The darkroom and the LF camera should provide some diversion when you don't want to brave the cold up in the far north!!

Confidently Agnostic!

Welcome. There's a good group in Calgary, if you ever want to meet any locals (ex-Calgary myself).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    I've recently decided to take the plunge back into large-format photography. Back in the late 80s I quit my job in order to pursue a career as a photographer. I was accepted into the Alberta College of Art, but after the first semester I realized that I could become wealthy making jewelry, so I switched majors. That was 20 years ago and now it has been 15 years since I've taken my large-format camera out of the case. That is all about to change, I am currently building a darkroom in my house and in search of a 4 x 5 enlarger. I dusted off my Ansal Adams book collection, and once I have the darkroom finished and a place to develop film I will be back at it. I am really hoping to be able to post a new image or two by the end of this month even if they are just contact prints for now.
    Walter Ash
    Vancouver / Victoria BC
    http://ashphotography.ca

Dear Scott,

Welcome back to large format image making...

jim k

calgary-large-format-users-group@googlegroups.com

These folks may be able to assist you in locating an enlarger as well. My friend got a 4X5 and myself a 5X7 through contacts with the Calgary group