Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lens coating defects

lens coating defects

I just got 2 lenses in the mail. They are a 90mm nikkor sw f8 and a 300mm nikkor m f9. I inspected them and there appears to be a small spot on each where the green layer of the coating is gone but the purple remains. I'd just like some opinions of what to do. The seller described them as mint and said there wasn't a spot on them so I can probably get a refund but I'm wondering if I'll end up with the same issue on another sample. Do you think I got sold a couple of rejects? I've never seen spots on the coatings of my 35mm Nikon lenses so this seems a little strange to get 2 lenses from the same guy both with coating problems. Should I just not worry about it because it won't make a difference in any photos I take?

Re: lens coating defects

Just spray the lens with WD-40 and let it dry in the sun. That's what all the professionals do, right?

(PS - not really)

Octogenarian

Your description of the lens coatings sounds well within normal limits to me.

If you want a lens that will stand up under microscopic examination, purchase a brand new one from a reputable dealer who will gladly refund your money if you are not satisfied.

Do or do not. There is no try.

There are several angles to consider.

From an image-making point of view, a couple of tiny spots won't make any difference. I did some experiments recently comparing a scratched, hazy, fungus-y lens with an identical copy in very good shape (not mint, but clean and clear). My findings are posted here:http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=57529. I found surprisingly little impact from significant defects.

The marks could be the result of poor cleaning technique. Many lens-cleaning fluids will leave colored streaks or spots if you use too much. I've had lenses and filters with marks and streaks that came off after careful cleaning with Pancro cleaner (available from Filmtools) and Rosco lens tissue. The emphasis here is on the word careful. Not all tissues are created equal, I figure if Rosco is good enough for the film industry, where lenses can cost 5 digits, it's good enough for me. I frequently had trouble with streaking when I used Kodak lens cleaning fluid because I often ended up with too much on the tissue. Pancro comes in a little atomizer bottle so I can control how much I get on the tissue simply by holding it further away from the bottle. Pancro is not perfect, too much will leave streaks, but I find it easier to control. I'm sure there are other products that are equally good.

If you want to discuss this with the seller, do it sooner rather than later. Do keep in mind Eugene's comment - what you've got is not terribly unusual and is eminently usable. On the other hand, if he/she specifically said spotless and the flaws are immediately visible, it might be worth following up on, especially if you feel you paid "spotless" prices.

The lenses you're talking about are no longer being manufactured, but are not in short supply. If you truly want spotless, you'll be able to find it.

Drew Wiley

Even brand new lenses often have tiny interruptions in a particular coating layer, if one
    looks closely enough. Just depends how big they are, but generally there will be no
    effect on the film itself. Scratches and dings are a different subject.

I paid right 360 for the 90mm which is about market price and 450 for the 300mm which is a little less than the 500 I saw one other sold at. I do consider that spotless prices if its stated so. I'm not concerned with the spots affecting my pictures. The problem for me is if I ever tried to sell these I would feel obligated to state the actual condition and not to lie about it. The same thing happened when I bought a replacement screen for my laptop. THe seller stated "it works" but it had a whole row of dead pixels and I could care less it still functions fine for me but I want to sell the laptop now and my conscience tells me I need to be honest. And the fact whoever I sell it to won't think twice about giving me negative feedback.

Octogenarian

Those are darn good prices for two of the most sought after Nikkor lenses.

Check the prices of the few new ones that B&H still has in stock.

Even if they were rated at 8+ or 9 condition, you got a good deal.

Stop worrying about those tiny little coating blemishes. They are not serious defects.

Just take those lenses out an use them. They are great lenses.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by natek83 View Post
    I paid right 360 for the 90mm which is about market price and 450 for the 300mm which is a little less than the 500 I saw one other sold at. I do consider that spotless prices if its stated so. I'm not concerned with the spots affecting my pictures. The problem for me is if I ever tried to sell these I would feel obligated to state the actual condition and not to lie about it. The same thing happened when I bought a replacement screen for my laptop. THe seller stated "it works" but it had a whole row of dead pixels and I could care less it still functions fine for me but I want to sell the laptop now and my conscience tells me I need to be honest. And the fact whoever I sell it to won't think twice about giving me negative feedback.
    Did you buy the lenses to resell or to use?

I figure the latter, so I would suggest getting out and using them, rather than lamenting this.

You have 2 great lenses (esp. the Nikkor), so don't sweat it!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

It's very possible that the spots will clean off. I get those kind of things on lenses regularly. Possibly a little oil from a finger or something. Even a sneeze will do it. Try carefully cleaning them and see if it helps. A coating spot will not have any effect on the performance. It has to be pretty bad for that to happen. If you look through the lens from the back, you may not see the spots at all. I have a 35mm Pro Tessar that is separated. It has an oil slick look about 1/3 the diameter, all the way around. It can't be seen from the back and it performs perfectly. That one is my worst example that I have no complaint about. Enjoy your new lenses.
    Last edited by Glenn Thoreson; 11-Jan-2010 at 14:31. Reason: crappy keyboard

this is why i never ever ever call anything "mint" i would say new..and if it was a new item i still would not call it "mint" by doing so you open yourself up to issues. nothing is mint. nothing is perfect. flaws can always be found. i can find a blemish on a new lens, car, or gun.

any flaw only affects the price. so if you want "flawless" then return it. if you feel that you paid market value for a "mint" lens and it was not "mint" then return it.

as others have said, you may find it very difficult to get a mint lens without 1st holding it in your hand. let us know what finally happens.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery