Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP CombiPlan Development

Question HP CombiPlan Development

Heretofore, all of my film development has been with 135 & 120 roll film in small tanks and LF (4x5 & 8x10) using trays. I've just obtained a HP Combi Plan in order to process more sheets at a time.

I plan to use the Combi Plan by inversion agitation. My question is: WRT to the mfg's .suggested development times, should the Combi Plan be regarded as a "small tank" since the development times assume tank inversion, or should the "large tank" times be used because it is, well...a large tank?

In other words, which of the starting development times suggested by the mfg. ("small tank", "large tank", "tray") should be used with the Combi Plan?

Re: HP CombiPlan Development

I use the "small tank" times, and they seem fine for me.

Claes Uhnér

I agree with Laurent, you can use development times for small tanks as a starting point and adjust as necessary.

On a side note – these tanks work well with minimal agitation techniques if you are so inclined.

I agree w/ Uhner, these HP's work really well with minimal agitation or stand development techniques. I've had great success with stand development and Pyro, as well as normal developers doing normal agitation. I've never had good success w/ double loading sheets and getting 12 out of a single tank but I know folks here have done exactly that and done very well with it.

It does dribble a bit so dont leave it upside down long and wear old clothes when doing this just in case more stuff comes out than desired...

./e

I agree on all the points mentioned. I've found that after loading the film and putting the lid on, carefully go around the soft rubber lid and makes sure it is pressed very firmly down on the tank along all edges, particularly the corners, leakage is almost non-existent.

Minimal agitation, I only invert the tank three times each minute this takes about 5 seconds (very gentle inversions) this appears to be plenty, some people may do less. I work with Rodinal at 1:50.

I have used Combi with D 76 in a 1:2, 1:3 and 1:5 for compensating developer with no problems! Agree with all the comments listed above! If it leaks it means I did not seal the lid or drains properly. To make pour times go faster make sure you open the drains so the air inside vents and then don't forget to tighten them again! In the USA Bob Solomon at HP Marketing who distributes the product is very good at customer service
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

You'll probably have to determine your own ideal developing time for the Combi. Filling/draining time for the combi is 25 seconds. I always add 15 seconds to my fill time. Don't worry about this having a differential effect on negative development. The only warning I would give you is to not use photo-flo or any soap on the tank. It doesn't completely wash off and can eventually cause edge development anomalies.

I've found that gentle agitation is all that is required. Gently invert it a 3 times each minute like Matthew suggests. Too vigorous agitation could actually cause the sheets to come out of place.

After the fixing is mostly done, I take off the top, and clean the top and filler and funnel while fixing finishes. Then I just use the Combi as an open tank for wash/hypo/wash.

I have a 5x7 tray I use for the photoflo step. I don't have to mix up much photoflo and don't have to reuse it. I just drop each negative into the photoflo for 10 seconds before taking it out to dry.

Sometimes I do a second tank at the same time. I start the timer with an extra minute and fill the second tank with developer at a 1 minute interval behind the first tank. (Just drain the first tank 1 minute before the timer is done). I usually shoot more than six negatives in an outing, so this is timesaving way to process up to 12 images.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and tips.

Toyon: Thanks for the Photo Flo tip. I always use it with metal tanks, and wash all of my tanks and utensils in warm, soapy, water followed by a squeaky clean rinse. I would have done the same with the CombiPlan tank. I am now forewarned.