Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Valley

Drew Wiley

Re: Death Valley

Bodie is a restricted area and it's probably outright closed for winter. It's a state park. Hwy 395 north of Mammoth is equivocal, depending on the weather, but usually open all the way, which includes Lee Vining and Mono Lake. Seems like you're biting off an awfully big chunk of territory. Owens Valley if fairly close however; and off in the other direction are places like Goldfield in Nevada if you want old buildings. Hawthorne Lake is interesting, a big desert lake with some
    military presence and a quiet town. Lots of potential places.

Actually Bodie isn't closed during the winter. Check out bodie.com for more info and park phone number.

I would call ahead to find out road conditions.

Enjoy your trip! It's always fun to look into your options and see what's available to explore this time of year. I really highly recommend Bodie if you can fit in a visit! You would likely have the park to yourself this time of year!

From bodie.com FAQ:

"Are there rangers in the park year-round? What are the park hours during the year?"
    Rangers are in the park all year. The museum/bookstore is open from May to October. Below is the park schedule:

March 1st to the Friday before Memorial Day: 10:00am to 3:00pm OR AS POSTED
    Saturday before Memorial Day to Mid-September: 8:00am to 6:00pm OR AS POSTED
    Mid-September to Mid-October: 8:00am to 4:00pm OR AS POSTED
    Mid-October to October 31st: 10:00am to 3:00pm OR AS POSTED
    November 1st to the end of February: 10:00am to 3:00pm OR AS POSTED

Hours CAN change and are strictly enforced. During the winter, the park is open, but it usually does require some form of snow transportation (4 wheel-drives won't cut it). With the elevation above 8000 feet, the snow gets pretty deep.

Drew Wiley

Laura - due to deep budget cuts things aren't as usual at our state parks. Bodie has
    a maintenance staff but the operating season might be affected. I would also like to
    add the importance of being well equipped in high desert in the Winter. I have seen
    even Hwy 395 closed due to snowfall, avalanches, rockslides, and truck turnovers,
    and have enountered serious washouts due to flash floods and drifting sands in the
    lower desert. Even on paved roads in parts of Nevada, gas, supplies, and accommodations can be far apart, and things can be pretty lonely. I wouldn't go anywhere without extra food, water, and a good sleeping bag. The desert can get
    very cold at night, and getting stranded isn't difficult. Even the upper end of Death
    Valley gets snowed in each year, and people who head back into places like Saline
    Valley typically carry at least two weeks worth of supplies - because you can easily
    be trapped that long; and don't expect a cell phone to be of any value!

Like I said, it always makes sense to call ahead! I've lived in the desert for over 9 years now, and spent a better part of 3 months camping in Death Valley and the Eastern Sierra, so I know that area pretty well. I think it would be fantastic to see Bodie in snow! And yes, being prepared is the only way to go! It's the only way I go!

One of my most memorable trips to Bodie was in the winter. I was with another photographer and his wife, and we stayed the night at the campground. I am not sure that overnight camping is still allowed. We were in my Chevy Van, and awoke with the inside completely coverd with ice. It had been a very, very cold night.

At dawn we awakened to a winter wonderland and walked down to the Ranger's cabin. It was a school break in Bridgeport, so his seven year old daughter was with him. He, his daughter,my two friends and I were the only people in Bodie that day. The Ranger opened up all of the buildings for us, made us coffee, and we went to work with our cameras.

In my casual approach to such an effort, I realize now how poorly equiped we were for our survival. You have heard suggestions to be prepared for days and weeks on your own in this area. Take heed.

As Drew has suggested, check with current conditions in Bodie; he is correct about current staffing difficulties. The winter roads can also be a challenge.

Have a productive and safe journey.

Anyone been to Death Valley in the last few days? Wondering if the rains have reached the eastern sierra soas to speed up flowering to mid feb?

Also wondering if I should include Ballarat & Trona on my Feb 2 trip.

Thanks again

I was in Bishop just last week but left before the rains etc.... moved in. I can tell you that the road to Bodie is closed as are all the other usual suspects and with the weather they were expecting I dont expect that situation to change any time soon. The roads to Mono Lake, although not maintained were passable as of last week to South Tufa and the other two normal access points closer to 395.

Scott Brewer

Apparently there was a bit of snow in Bishop! 395 closed on and off norrth of Bishop. Mammoth has had over 65" of snow in the past 72 hours. 3 feet in June Lake.

This should be an amazing desert wildflower year!

Michael E. Gordon

Current DVNP road conditions: everything that isn't paved is CLOSED!

Sorry to keep posting, but I leave a week from tomorrow and wonder if I should change my route due to weather/access to DV. The last time I went was in early March, and I am realizing one month earlier makes a difference in weather.

Question: I like to shoot both commercial and natural landscapes, and as much as I like DV I am wondering if I hang out in the Needles and south and east and west (route 66) are there natural landscapes, etc other than Joshua Tree/Mojave that are of interest?

Thanks again.