Thread: PS gone wild

PS gone wild

Hi, all.
    I bought a new Dell monitor (U2410, very nice indeed) and as usual I made calibration and profile with Eye One hardware. Everything went fine, beautiful colors and gradations with all utilities, except with CS3, wich decided to turn all my grayscale to green.
    If I ask for proof preview as monitor RGB, it come to look ok, but of course that ins't a solution. But it shows that the program recognize the new profile, but I can't realize why it doesn't apply it on the fly right from the start.
    So I'm pretty confused about that and I would like to know if someone has ever crossed with the same situation. Any ideas would be rather welcome.

Cesar B.

Re: PS gone wild

you didn't by any chance assign the new profile in your PS color settings? PS should have eitehr RGB or SRGB as color profiles, not your monitor profile.
    Juergen

There are profiles for monitors, and profiles for printers. They look the same to Photoshop.

EyeOne created a profile, and put it in the profiles directory. The computer and graphics card use it, to correct the monitor.

Meanwhile, as Juergen pointed out, Photoshop uses profiles in the Proof Preview feature, to show how images will look, according to the color space of the printer/paper combination. It too, uses "profiles" - printer profiles.

Ideally, Photoshop shouldn't even let you choose a monitor profile for the preview - only printer profiles.

Unfortunately, "profiles" are stored as files, located in certain directories, and apparently, Photoshop doesn't know one profile from the next. It merely shows you everything in that directory, whether it's intended for Photoshop or not.

I presume this can be blamed on the fact that there are no industry standards in this area, and things just "evolved" that way.

Juergen and Ken,

I feel confortable with color management, so there wasn't such obvious mistakes about collor settings or alike.
    There's actually something going wrong, because now and then, when I start PS there's a warning about some mistake with monitor profile. If I check to ignore it, everything is ok, but most of the time there's no such a warning.
    I've repeated the whole calibration process, but it keeps showing the same behaviour and I can't guess why.
    Thanks anyway for your attention,

Cesar B.

Assuming you are using a PC then:

make sure you haven't got "adobe gamma loader.exe" running.
    On a pc this gets installed by PS and is loaded at PC startup. Its designed for people who don't know about calibration. Since you are doing your own calibration you should have it switched off. i.e. it should not be loaded when your pc is started or it will mess with your colours.

Well, I haven't been using adobe gamma for years, so I don't think it would come around just because I've changed monitors.
    But I'll check this anyway.
    Thanks,

CB

This may sound dumb, and is probably not your problem, but make sure your monitor cable is in good shape and has a solid connection to your computer. Took me about a half-day to diagnose that problem once . . .