Page 244 of 311 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,440 of 3106

Thread: post your urban landscapes

Re: post your urban landscapes

That's a rather odd accusation. Heavy swing does this easily. Try it on your LF camera with any lens.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Bob,

To me it looks fairly sharp straight through from foreground to background along a relatively narrow vertical center line. Then everything to the left and right is out of focus. Basically what one would expect from swing defocus.

My only reservation in this particular case (unless it was the intention of the photographer) is that the use of back swing altered the geometry of the image (most visible in the distortion of the shape of the gate and building).

Not accusing Dude- actually very impressed with this - I have only seen this done with one plane think Mamiya 8 tilt lens Tony Hackensfield did a lot of this or with PS as I mentioned

I would be interested to see more .

I will give this a go sometime as the effect is quite striking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    That's a rather odd accusation. Heavy swing does this easily. Try it on your LF camera with any lens.

I get what you are talking about- to me I see different areas of sharp to out in a straight line down the middle need to see more of this.

just the opposite of the Mamiya 8 super critical area of focus we have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Bob,

To me it looks fairly sharp straight through from foreground to background along a relatively narrow vertical center line. Then everything to the left and right is out of focus. Basically what one would expect from swing defocus.

My only reservation in this particular case (unless it was the intention of the photographer) is that the use of back swing altered the geometry of the image (most visible in the distortion of the shape of the gate and building).

When used cleverly, swing/tilt defocus can really mess with the mind particularly when it comes to the perception of scale. I remember once seeing a series of urban landscape/landscape photos done using this technique and due to both the method and vantage point, you'd swear they were pictures of a miniature set or model railroad until you looked closer and realized it was real. It would seem we become accustomed to instinctively associating a shallow depth of field with a large scale of reproduction and vice versa.

Tony H has this kind of vibe going on, it was used a lot with advertising photographers like Tom Fieler here in TO.
    I think I like it a lot when done on Large Format- In PS I am not so inclined , not sure why .

I would like to experiment with this with some table top work and solarization..

btw I am in Montreal next Friday Evening 22 - I will post my show here and APUG as soon as I get the french version of the invite done… drop by for a cheap glass of wine and see some of my silver solarizations.

When used cleverly, swing/tilt defocus can really mess with the mind particularly when it comes to the perception of scale. I remember once seeing a series of urban landscape/landscape photos done using this technique and due to both the method and vantage point, you'd swear they were pictures of a miniature set or model railroad until you looked closer and realized it was real. It would seem we become accustomed to instinctively associating a shallow depth of field with a large scale of reproduction and vice versa.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post

btw I am in Montreal next Friday Evening 22 - I will post my show here and APUG as soon as I get the french version of the invite done… drop by for a cheap glass of wine and see some of my silver solarizations.
    I will drop in, if I can. I've been a fan of solarizations since seeing some of Andreas Feiningers' when I was a teen.

post your urban landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    ^^
    I agree - any lens details to share? Very unique look.
    Hi. This was done using a Schneider 80 mm f4.5 xl lens. Movements used were front rise, front swing, rear swing.
    Last edited by Robclarke; 12-Apr-2016 at 18:05. Reason: added ibfo

Bob,

Thanks all for the comments. This was done using camera movements only not software editing. Front and rear swing was used to get the selective focus effect. The rear swing has led to some distortion but I can't think of a way of getting the effect without using both front and rear swing. Some of the distortion could probably be cleared up in software but this is just a quick scan.

I really love this. I am not a fan of those T/S images people keep posting elsewhere, trying to use the effect to make everything look like a diorama, but this, I really dig. It takes me back to photography that was prevalent in the 60s, and gives it that old school feeling. I tried my hand at this just this weekend, and will try to post my attempt later, this one is just beautiful.
    --Krish Mandal
    my site: http://www.bykrishmandal.com
    based in NYC