Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinar F

Sinar F

I see there is a Sinar F on ebay with no bids running currently at $200. Any thoughts on this camera? This would be my first 4x5. I want to use it for landscapes, and perhaps some architectural stuff. I plan to start with a 150mm lens, which I don't yet have

Re: Sinar F

Best deal in photography. Use one myself.

bob

This one comes with a lensboard for a Copal #1 shutter. I guess 150mm use Copal #0, so I'd need a new lensboard. What boards are compatible? I'll also need to get some film holders. Are all 4x5 holders compatible?

Drew Wiley

Buy only real Sinar boards, not "Sinar/Horseman compatible", which don't always fit
    actual Sinars.

Octogenarian

Sinar lens boards and 4x5 cut film holders are easily obtainable, new or previously owned.

When you are ready, contact me. I have an extra Sinar Copal 0 board and a few extra 4x5 film holders for sale.

Sinar F's are excellent cameras, and previously owned ones are selling for very reasonable prices these days.

Under $300 is a good deal so long as it is a functional camera. If you are patient sometimes you can snag an even better deal on an outfit. One spot to look out for on the F is that the plastic parts that secure the front standard to the rail can be cracked (or epoxied). The later F2 used a more robust attachment (but they usually are in the $500 range). Not all F front standards are cracked -- just something to watch for and probably confirm with the seller.

Most 4x5 film holders have been interchangeable since the 1930s except for some exotics. Try to get them five at a time because film is sold in 10 sheet boxes (or larger) and this way you can load an entire box at once. Be patient and you can usually get them for $7-8 each or less. Fidelity and Lisco are the most popular brands and most people prefer the newer plastic ones (only 40 years old!) over the older wooden ones.

I recommend the F2 model, I don't know which yours is. A good friend has one and uses an F2 in the field and they are great to work with and the mechanical computer works for getting swings and tilts aligned between the front and back standards! I personally shoot a wooden field camera however this can be a good deal.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Its auction 300373447068. The seller says its a Sinar F.

How does the camera mount to a tripod? Is the tripod mount integrated into the bottom of the rail? Will it attach to a standard manfrotto tripod?

Ron Miller

Just out of curiosity, do you guys use Sinar F/F2 for landscape work in the field? Not by-the-car but hiking? I find myself often hiking 8 hours with my 4x5 field. I always thought view cameras were cumbersome for field work. Please correct my naivate.