Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tray Film Developing - Timer?

Ross

Re: Tray Film Developing - Timer?

RH Designs Processmaster II.

Temperature compensating, 8 different channels for film/developer combinations, very legible display, beeps every 30 seconds, mains or battery, steps for soak, develop, stop, fix, wash or any other step you choose, footswitch, percentage/time toggle with run on option.

It doesn't require a visit to e-bay to find an antiquated beat up Gralab (whatever they are) and doesn't play music. It's currently made by the Poms and can be serviced by them.

Regards - Ross

hacker extraordinaire

Wow, compensating timers? I guess I'm not very scientific. I use my Timex wrist watch...I even use the Indiglo function to see how the time is doing. Oh noes!

I no longer use the compensating function on my zone vi timers since I've had two of them go bad. I had them both repaired (by Calumet), but one went bad again. In both cases, the timers gradually ran faster than they should have, until they were running fast enough to notice. As a result those negs were progressively underdeveloped.

Apparently there's a diode or something inside on the compensating circuit which does wear out. I haven't had any problems with the 'real time' function.

I suppose I could check them before use by putting the probe in 68f water and switching back and forth from real time to film time, checking against my watch to make sure they're the same. I may do that in the future...for now I'm finding it easier to just use a water jacket and be very careful about the developer temp.

These days I'm running my film at 75f in tubes, so I'm not certain how well the compensating action would work without running some tests. However I have been considering moving back to a lower temperature since 75 is much harder to maintain in my darkroom.