Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Split Printing on VC paper

Octogenarian

Re: Split Printing on VC paper

Richard,

An simpler way to print with the Zone VI VC head:

Turn the controls for the blue and green lamps and brightness to maximum.

Make a test strip.

Too much contrast?--- Turn down the intensity of the blue lamp.

Too little contrast?---Turn down the intensity of the green lamp.

Too much dry down?---Turn down the brightness control.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Richard,

Make a test strip.

So, turn it into a subtractive system like a dichro head.

Turn down blue = dial in yellow
    Turn down green = dial in magenta.

The problem I have with any of the 'split' approaches is that mid tones change too much with isolated changes in green/magenta and yelllow/blue.

To keep mids the same you really need to change both contrast colors at the same time, thus the advantage (to me) of the various mixed filtration aproaches (ie pre-packaged filters or mixed filtration look up charts).

There is an instruction in the Saunders 4550XLG/VCCE enlarger manual that I found very interesting. They suggest that you make two test prints, one at full hard and one full soft, 5 and 00 or 5 and 0 depending on the brand of filter you are emulating, Ilford or Kodak. By doing this you see the full possibility in either direction. From there you can pick a number that fits your taste, you can combine different times at the extremes, or you can print a base exposure and modify through dodge and burn with other numbers.

I now use an 12x12 cold light head on a Durst 138 with two filter holders under the lens. I use this either to enlarge 8x10 negatives or as a light source for 7x17 contact printing. In most cases I use this method, print a base exposure and modify through dodge and burn with other numbers.

John

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    What draws you to split printing?
    I have used spit printing but went back to establishing the "global" contrast first with one filtration setting, then with any dodge and burn that can be accomplished, and further, if needed, by painting with any of the other filtration settings (I use a LPL 4550XLG). I don't know why, but I seem to enjoy the results better. Prehaps it's becuase I don't develop my negatives with a bit more contrast as Les McLean has indicated, IDK. All my negatives are developed to the same contrast range of 1.2 regardless of the development time and I feel I do have better control over the end results of the mid-tones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Richard,

Make a test strip.

This method works for me, except for the use of the brightness control. I have a zone vi compensating enlarging timer. In my case, turning down the brightness at the enlarger control panel has no effect on the exposure other than making it take longer, since the timer compensates for the dimmer light. This is good for slowing down for burning/dodging.

Running the green (soft) lamp on max before it's fully warmed up may cause the green indicator lamp to go out, meaning you're not getting a consistent exposure. By turning the brightness down to 7 or so you can avoid this problem. Once it's warm you can crank it up safely.

I have found that using multiple grade settings on VC paper is for me, the only way to print. I do not use the yellow and magenta only method.

I use a base exposure grade, then change to more contrast, maybe more again and always follow up with 100% magenta only for about 1/4 the initial base exposure to set the blacks. Since it's VC paper, to me that means it needs VC exposure.

Works for me
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Has anyone ever considered what motivates split contrast printing in the first place? I can think of two reasons. The first is for artistic reasons. The second is because of the of the developer film combination which leads to uneven contrast development.

The latter will occur when the characteristic curve has pronounced heals and shoulders. As the slope of the characteristic curve changes so does the contrast. Thus, the contrast of curves with straight lines remains constant and unchanging while curves that are not straight lined and have pronounced heals and shoulders will exhibit different contrasts in the shadows, mid tones, and highlights and therefore require different printing requirements in each of those regions.

You can reduce the need to resort to complex split contrast printing by selecting a developer film combination that produces a straight line characteristic curve. Many years ago before I switched to color negative film, I found that using Tmax and the Tmax RS developer produced an almost perfect straight line curve. However, the problem with the Tmax RS developer at that time was it is was very sensitive to how you agitated the film during development. Getting repeatable results was only possible with a JOBO processor. I believe that John Sexton uses this developer combination with a JOBO cpp2.

Keep in mind that I have not worked with b&w for years, but I still have to deal with the same issue with color negative film. I have found a developer film combination that yields an almost perfect straight curve that produce stunning tones throughout the range of print values.

What are your thoughts on this?

with colour you want good colour which may or may not be dependant on straightline curve.
    With black and white a toe and shoulder make subtle transitions from dark to light and soft highlights fading out to white gently.

All depends on what you think makes a fine print. A straight curve or the aesthetic of the actual print. Suggesting the best aesthetic is reliant on straight curve may be the case for you but I can guarantee you that it won't be for everyone.

I agree with Matthew on this one.
    I use a low/mid filter for the base which I test full out to be slightly light and soft.
    Once I have this set, I will add a % of grade 5 to taste. Depending on the look that I want to present will determine the % , for the fun of it I will always make 3 prints with various % to see which one I like best
    One thing that I also have started doing is to use dodging and burning tools and let the 5grade come into the highlights more.
    This is a trick I learned from Les McLean, it really helps with highlight detail by defining a good black within the highlight region.
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew blais View Post
    I have found that using multiple grade settings on VC paper is for me, the only way to print. I do not use the yellow and magenta only method.

I use a base exposure grade, then change to more contrast, maybe more again and always follow up with 100% magenta only for about 1/4 the initial base exposure to set the blacks. Since it's VC paper, to me that means it needs VC exposure.

Works for me

Nicholas O. Lindan

There is an application note on the Darkroom Automation web site on the characteristics of VC paper. The graph on page 6 of the app note shows the local gamma for VC paper at various contrast grades/filtrations. Highlight contrast does not change until you use a grade 5 filter - it is easy to see why burning in the highlights with a grade 5 filter is so often necessary with VC paper.

http://www.darkroomautomation.com/su...vcworkings.pdf

==
    Nicholas Lindan
    Darkroom Automation