Thread: Gitzo GT1541 and 4x5

Gitzo GT1541 and 4x5

I bought a Gitzo GT1541 to have a light tripod for my digital camera - I have a megal series 3 and series 5 for 4x5. The GT1541 is rated for 17 pounds! I could put a pan head, a field camera, and a big lens on it and still be at only about 10 pounds load. Anyone tried these for 4x5? It is amazingly rigid.

Re: Gitzo GT1541 and 4x5

Hi,

I plan to buy a Gitzo tripod. I thought the right one for me is the 2541.
    Your pot is interesting, the solution to take a serie 1 tripod.

Thank you for the idea.

Has anyone done the same thing ?

Could it be that the 17kg rating of the 1541 is a typo in the catalogue? In the 2007 Gitzo catalogue it shows the rating of the 1540 to be only 2 kg with a reduction to 1.2 kg if the head is used in "portrait mode". It appears that the other characteristics are very similar. I would be very surprised if it would actually handle a field camera, lens and head in a secure, steady fashion.

I use an older Gitzo 320 (aluminum) with my Technicka and feel it is usually sufficient. If I expect wind I use my old Gitzo 411 - heavy, but steady with the Technika in most circumstances.

Dave

While I find it surprising, it is consisent with the rating for other 6x carbon models. I have a 1345 metal Gitzo, which is much more substantial but is only rated for 22 pounds. My old 5 series, which I think I could use as a ladder, is only rated for 15 kilos. Gitzo has clearly changed it rating criteria.

I own one for when I travel on business and want to escape for a little photography R&R.

I haven't used it with my Chamonix 4x5, but have used it with my Super Graphic and Mamiya 7II.

I either use it without a head or I use my Acratech ball head with it. I never use the center column (not a problem because I am short), I also avoid using the last section of the legs because they are spindly. It is surprisingly rigid, I should probably give it a shot with the Chamonix or my Anba Ikeda one of these days.

The portability is just mind-blowing, fits right in my carry-on luggage. Never a question about bringing it along.

JT

I used to use a 1227 with a Toho Shimo. It worked fine. I've used it with some heavier cameras, such as a Toyo AX, and again it worked fine, but I only used it with a wide angle lens in low wind conditions. I'd recommend something heavier than the 1 series for use with a Chamonix, especially if you want to use 200-300mm lenses.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

1541 will work for a chamonix 045n1 with lense <210mm, provided that you hang heavy bag on its hook and do not raise the center column. forget about anything beyond 210mm or raising center column.

If I may, this link is very interesting for those of you who read french:

http://www.galerie-photo.com/rotule-...noball-p0.html

The guy is really happy with a Gitzo 1531 and an Arca-Swiss P0 to hold still a Chamonix 45 or a Linhof Technika...

This is tempting, but I would take a 2531 if it was for me, remove the three third sections and central column, to make a kind of Systematic Serie 2 ultra Light, as I realize I never use the third section of my Manfrotto 055.

All the best,

I don't have a large format camera yet, but i use my digital medium format with my Gitzo Series 3 [GT3541LS] and no issue, but i have Gitzo series 5 which is the most sturdy tripod i know there, so i will use this one no doubt for my large format camera when i get one.

Forgot to say that i use Really Right Stuff ballhead BH-55 with that, enough to handle that load, i can buy another head if needed.