Thread: Pigment Inks and Pictorico OHP

Pigment Inks and Pictorico OHP

I'm contemplating the purchase of a pigment ink printer (Canon Pro Pixma 9500) and one of the things I'm interested in doing is printing digital negatives on Pictorico OHP film for gum bichromate work. There are some older threads about other pigment printers which mention Pictorico printing, but I was wondering if there is any direct and recent thought on this.

One of the things I'm curious about is the adhesion/density ability of the film to absorb a pigment type ink. Any issues on this? Any other thoughts on the pigment/Pictorico combination?

Re: Pigment Inks and Pictorico OHP

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pollock View Post
    I'm contemplating the purchase of a pigment ink printer (Canon Pro Pixma 9500) and one of the things I'm interested in doing is printing digital negatives on Pictorico OHP film for gum bichromate work. There are some older threads about other pigment printers which mention Pictorico printing, but I was wondering if there is any direct and recent thought on this.

One of the things I'm curious about is the adhesion/density ability of the film to absorb a pigment type ink. Any issues on this? Any other thoughts on the pigment/Pictorico combination?
    Most people involved in printing digital negatives use Epson printers, and one of the main reasons is the flexibility offered by the shareware QTR program. HP and Canon pigment ink printers may work ok for this but you will find yourself mostly on your own if you opt for one of them instead of an Epson.

My advice would be to buy an Epson 3800, or 3880 or 3900.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Like Sandy says, I recommend an Epson printer. I use a 3800 with QTR to make digital negatives and its works beautifully for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Aharonian View Post
    Like Sandy says, I recommend an Epson printer. I use a 3800 with QTR to make digital negatives and its works beautifully for me.
    another vote for Epson 3800 and OHP.

Andrew

Hi,

I was just in Pictorico's office in Tokyo this week.

They test their materials with the most of the popular pro level printers including old ones regardless of type of inks. Their clear film will take pigment inks. In fact, they recommend pigment ink for printing regular inkjet on their white films because of the wider gamut in fact (nothing to do negatives though).

As for the UV blocking property, that is something you have to test by yourself unfortunately.

They are aware how we use their products, and very cooperative and eager to listen.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

How do the pigment inks work in the 3800 do you just use three cartridges, it looks like an expensive printing method when they are fifty dollars a piece. Which older model Epson printer are they talking about, maybe I have one I can use?

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    How do the pigment inks work in the 3800 do you just use three cartridges,
    Regardless of how many or few different inks [carts] are used, all of the ink carts have to be operative.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    t looks like an expensive printing method when they are fifty dollars a piece. Which older model Epson printer are they talking about, maybe I have one I can use?
    If you want to use Quad Tone Rip, check your printer compatibility here:

http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRrequire.html