Page 24 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets See Your Darkroom

Re: Lets See Your Darkroom

Hi chassis. The sink is made from a single sheet (1200x2400mm or 8 x 4 feet) of 3/4 inch construction-grade plywood. I started with a full sheet of plywood (8 feet by 4 feet or 2400mm x 1200mm) and gave it two coats of epoxy on both sides before I cut out the pieces. After making the joins (rebate, wood glue and nails) I mixed filler with epoxy to make an epoxy mix with the consistency of putty, then applied fillets that strengthen the joints and make them fully waterproof. After that I applied several more coats of epoxy. Not pretty up close, but very effective - the plywood is fully encapsulated in epoxy so in theory the moisture content in the ply will never change so it should be dimensionally stable. No sign of any problems so far after 18 months of regular use.

For the drain hole I bought a flanged drain outlet at the hardware store, and bonded it into a recess in the floor of the sink with epoxy. I made the recess in the base of the sink with two holesaws - first cut half-way through the base to the outside diameter of the drain fitting, then cut all the way through with a small holesaw the size of the drain pipe. Then carefully remove the waste with a chisel. Apply a good coat of expoxy to the exposed plywood and let that harden up before bonding the drain fitting into place with more epoxy. Careful work with the epoxy will ensure that the wood never gets wet.

The final dimensions are approximately 670mm (front to back) x 2400mm long, and the sides are 150mm high.

Cheers!

Here's my new darkroom converted one of the garage, really really great to be making big fibre based prints again

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    Since this does not fit into my tiny darkroom at the farm I am building a larger darkroom at my office where I have more spare room.
    Got the Durst in & set up today. Cabinet maker is coming over this afternoon to measure everything. Hopefully up and running soon.
    Cabinets installed while I was on holidays, waiting for doors, Shelves, and counter tops.

Sink sits on top of this one

Scott Walker

Can I make a suggestion for location of your enlarger.

With a wonderful drop table enlarger like you have I would put the enlarger away from the wall so you can easily access from three sides , it really helps doing complicated burn patterns .
    I would move it away from the wall more to the center..
    just my 2cents

Bob

Counter top and sink arrived today. Guess it's time to start on the plumbing and making the door light tight.

I appreciate the suggestion on enlarger placement Bob, unfortunately the room is small and there is a step in the ceiling so I could not move the enlarger over far enough to have the large box cabinet that I wanted. If it is a real issue I will have to pull the big cabinet out and have two smaller ones built, one for each side.

I have a couple of enlargers with that nice drop table and find it great to walk around the easel.
    I hear you though about space, always an issue.

So, for the last few years, a small room in our basement was my wife's laundry room during the day and my darkroom at night. We recently moved and we had a larger room in our basement that I laid claim to. I had it wired and plumbed and, well, HERE it is.

PS, this was shot on my iPad. Not crazy about the video capabilities. However, it was super cool in that I could just post it u to You Tube with one click of the button.

Cool!

I have a room with a magic switch by the door. When I switch it, the room goes dark!

Anyway, a corner of that room is used for printing. I usually have to move stuff first!

Steve.