Page 45 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets See Your Darkroom

Re: Lets See Your Darkroom

Here is my latest, and what I thought would be my last, darkroom. I have built five in my life and have vastly improved them each time. I have really put this darkroom to good use for over twelve years and have enjoyed it very much, but circumstances again require that I make one more move (it is already partially disassembled for the move) and I now know what I will do to refine it further. I will make it wider to accommodate my humidifier and replace the 17' sink with an equally large sink configured differently to facilitate drainage along the whole length instead of at one end. I would also like to provide for a tray rack below the sink. I think it may be wise not to use stainless steel as a backsplash because of the reflection, although I haven't really had problems with it. I would also like an auxiliary sink at the end of the room for a 20x24 washer. I may also modify the plumbing and add Hass Intellifaucets. I'm also hoping to have a smooth concrete floor with a floor drain and rubber mats to combat fatigue. On the dry side, I would like deeper cabinets with a matte-surface dark granite counter top, rather than the light maple seen in the photos. Once I start with new construction, I'm sure I'll have more to add.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1a.jpg   2a.jpg   3a.jpg   4a.jpg  

Wow! Now, that is a darkroom.......

Rob beautiful darkroom. I assume that is a custom made stainless sink so, if I may ask, how much does a bugger like that cost? It looks like you've followed my principle of having no dust collectors out in the open but everything in drawers or cabinets so that periodic wipe downs for dust is easier. Real sweet job.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Nathan,

The sink was free, believe it or not. When I moved into my first warehouse/loft space, it was sitting on the floor,abandoned and covered with grease and filth (I think it was an old deli steam table). I ignored it for two months, as I already had another sink. One day I took a cloth to it and discovered that it sparkled beneath the grease, and I then built my darkroom around it.

Regarding the dust problem, you'll notice the shelving above the sink. The stainless shelves are nothing more than a bunch of $20 Ikea kitchen racks bolted together. Practically no cleaning is necessary.

Speaking of Ikea, I used some of their excellent stainless legs for the print dryer at the far end of my counter on the right, which raised the dryer to allow for more counter space below. Ikea is a great resource for darkroom builders.

Thanks!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Vinnedge View Post
    Here is my latest, and what I thought would be my last, darkroom. ....

wow man, that is SWEET!

I agree with your sentiments on the stainless/shiny issue. If you had the backsplash acid dipped(to matte the surface), and then anodized black, it'd looks pretty nice too .
    http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/...hot-topic.html
    Just a thought, vs painting it.

-Dan

Actually, that's stainless steel, not aluminum, but I was thinking about a smooth, matte concrete (in a new structure), or a dark, matte stone tile - something that cleans up easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    wow man, that is SWEET!

I agree with your sentiments on the stainless/shiny issue. If you had the backsplash acid dipped(to matte the surface), and then anodized black, it'd looks pretty nice too .
    http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/...hot-topic.html
    Just a thought, vs painting it.

-Dan

Excuse me, not sure what made me think it was aluminum 'doh!

Looks like you have a taste for a clean, tidy(and tidy looking!) workspace!

-Dan

Rob, your darkroom is a dream! Wonderful! It must be great to work in it.

Rob, your darkroom is like a kitchen, a kitchen for the photography !

jp

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pietrzak View Post
    I thought that this might fit in. A good friend from Reno, Nolan Preece has just finished part one of a book on photographers and their darkroom. You can find it at Blurb.com.
    The title is 'In From the Light' it was fun being part of the project.

Jan Pietrzak
    That's a nice book of darkroom pictures ...... nothing like seeing actual pictures of well organized darkrooms..... very informative to me at least.

Thanks!