Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shocking Sale

Re: Shocking Sale

Let me get this straight... you sold work for over $8000 and you're complaining??

multiplex

did he sign the prints ?
    they could be collectors items ...

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am not concerned about the financial aspect of the sale but the fact that the client who informed me of the sale is one of those investors in Mr. Madoff's business and has been swindled out of tens of millions of dollars. I have a very select client base and consider all of them, friends not just collectors and for him to see my work among Madoff's plunder was very jarring to him. I realize that after a piece has been sold, the buyer can do what he likes with it, within copy right limits, so that is not my concern. What does bother me is the fact that this particular client has been a supporter of my work and has even held showings of new work at his Briarcliff estate even acting as a non paid agent and the least he can expect is my gratitude and loyalty.
    Denise Libby

While it may be jarring to your client it is wise not to attribute any of Madoff's bad characteristics to his one-time possessions, nor to your work and ethics.

You had no part in either his purchase nor the subsequent auction, so I see it that you are purely free of any taint.

It is nice to have clients that report back to you, that is a nice gesture on their part, that they had a concern.

You can only reassure them that you had no dealings with Madoff, nor would you, now that we all know what he did.

Of course, I understand he is charming, and I wonder how any of us would have reacted, say 5 years ago, if Bernie had approached us with a big wad of cash and a smile and wanted to buy our work for top dollar. Many people were duped.

Among the auctioned items was Madoff's Mets leather baseball jacket with his name on the back. It brought $20,000! First it was expected to be sold for no more then $2000, but later it went up and up....
    Needless to say I was shocked (I would had never payed anything close) but what am I to do now

Denise, out of curiosity, could you show us the two pieces that were sold? I googled your name and couldn't find your web site.

When we sell a print, it goes out into the world and we lose control of it. We hope the buyer and the subsequent owners will be good stewards. I wouldn't fret over a picture finding a new home.

Drew Wiley

Auctions are odd. But I wouldn't complain; it might help raise the value of your work
    overall. Just make sure you have some kind of clause in your will that keeps the IRS
    from appraising your whole collection at that kind of value, or they will demand it in
    cash from your heirs (it's happened). Lately I've been getting calls from appraisers
    who have encountered some old piece of mine which has been passed around or
    recollected. It's nice to know people have cared enough for the image to keep it in
    good shape and find interest in the subject. But artistic value is so arbitrary! When I
    sell, the price is largely a business decision based upon expense incurred, and often
    what I think the party can afford. Ironically, it's always the rich who haggle, never
    the common folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Ironically, it's always the rich who haggle, never
    the common folk.
    amazing isn't it? i find that in my auto body repair business as well.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery