Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions on this sinar stuff

opinions on this sinar stuff

I found this auction of Sinar stuff, expolux, bellows, accumulator, charger, sinarsix digital, module 2, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

does this stuff look to be in good condition? is it worth trying to win this?
    thanks.

Re: opinions on this sinar stuff

These old Sinar digital shutters are not very popular, due to their hagh failure rate. They often found their way to Switzerland and back several times due to being very sensitive to static electricity. (I must admit that I used to own one of these outfits in the late 80'ies and it didn't brake down even once for me. But I recon I was one of the few lucky ones.) Unless you shoot a lot in the studio, which is the only place where it's sensible to use this outfit, let it go to someone else.
    If you decide to bid on it, I'd say some $250 or so, because you will have no guarantee and the repair bills can be much higher than so. I.e. it's better to buy something for little money so that you can dump it if it breaks instead of "having to repair" it to protect some sort of investment.
    Well, at least this is my opinion.

//Björn

Lachlan 717

Do you have a specific need for this gear? Or is this just on a whim?

Big Negs Rock!

I would think the lens alone is worth $250. If the bellows is in good condition, that's at least $50-100. My $.02 for a thought. I like my Sinar stuff. I have to admit, I have a digital shutter and have never used it. I use the mechanical one, or the one on the lens.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    I would think the lens alone is worth $250. If the bellows is in good condition, that's at least $50-100. My $.02 for a thought. I like my Sinar stuff. I have to admit, I have a digital shutter and have never used it. I use the mechanical one, or the one on the lens.
    Note that the lens is an old Symmar Convertible.

And also note that it is in a DB mount, meaning it has no shutter, only an aperture. It depends on the Expolux shutter. So, retasking the lens if the shutter turns out to be flaky will require finding a replacement shutter.

There is risk in this sort of kit without buying with the ability to test and return.

I'd rather spend the money for a Sinar Copal shutter if I wanted to shoot barrel lenses. It's all mechanical.

I'm thinking this one needs the sort of specialized buyer who doesn't need to ask on a public forum whether it looks like it will work.

Rick "caveat emptor" Denney

It looks like more trouble than it's worth, it is more something that someone might want for parts than to actually use whole. If it was from a domestic seller with some photo background and who could assure its functionality then it wouldn't be such a scary deal.

to be honest, the only issue I have is that the seller will not respond to any messages, yet has 100% positive feedback.

the only reason I am asking is to get a more experienced opinion on the matter-I haven't used this setup before, only a basic front shutter model that I used once. I heard good things about the expolux module system and the expolux monitor system, and I know what they do/how to use them, but I don'y know how to identify their condition.

For me, the refusal to communicate is an immediate show stopper.

Unless the deal is too good to walk away from, the seller has been trading for a long time and has a minimum 99% positive rating, and the price remains low.

Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    but I don'y know how to identify their condition.
    As with any electronic device, I don't know how you will assess condition from pictures that show the device powered down.

Rick "who'd rather have the mechanically-controlled Copal shutter" Denney

I have two Copal mechanical Sinar shuuters that work fine and one elctronic that doesn't !!!!

When they work they are great.....When they don't they are a 'bin job'

Cheers Dave