Thread: durst laborator spring noise

Andrew

durst laborator spring noise

Hi all,

A question for the Durst 138 experts out there:

I recently acquired a Durst S-45 with all the goodies from a commercial studio that was moving to a smaller space after going digital. I'm very happy with the enlarger so far, but I'm concerned about sort of a "thunking" noise I hear coming from the top column spring when I pull the head down. I've been following the instruction manual by leaving the head in the topmost position when not in use, but if I leave it there for more than an hour or so, I get the noise when I lower the head.

Do any other 138 users have a similar experience? I'm concerned that the noise may be sign of impending spring failure...

Thanks,

-andrew

Andrew

Re: durst laborator spring noise

Quote Originally Posted by andrew dark View Post
    i have a 138 and have not noticed any noise from the spring, be careful though as the spring is like a loaed gun
    Thanks -- that's good to know. At least now I know that this is something to keep an eye on. I have heard the horror stories about unpacking the wound spring, so I'll stay away from it.

I'm wondering if this might be a lubrication issue. It sounds like the spring might be sticking as it is wound around itself as the head goes down. I did try lubricating the recommended locations with light camera oil, but perhaps none of these reach the spring itself.

Cheers,

-andrew

Re: durst laborator spring noise

There is a section on the Durst spring adjustment procedure on this site, just for your reference. Still, I think I would leave this adjustment alone.