Thread: Select circle with CS3

Select circle with CS3

I assume there must be a way to select a perfect circle of an image file with Photoshop CS3 but I can not seem to find the tool for this. I find a tool of rectangles and ellipses but not circles.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Richard M. Coda

Re: Select circle with CS3

Hold the Shift key down in the Ellipse tool (or for a square in the rectangle tool).
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

And if you want to start from the center of the circle, hold down Shift + Option while dragging the selection.

Hi Marko and Richard,

Thanks, guys.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

And if you want to move the circle around before you commit to the size, hold down the space bar. Alternatively of course you can move with the arrow keys after you've created the circular selections.

So what's this sudden interest in circles? You are not going to crop your 20x24's into round images are you?!

Sam

Photography like most crafts have a full circle from exposure to final print. I believe Sandy is just trying to figure out how to connect all the knowledge in his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Photography like most crafts have a full circle from exposure to final print. I believe Sandy is just trying to figure out how to connect all the knowledge in his brain.
    Bob,

Not quite that complicated. Sam has been building circular cameras for years, using lenses made for smaller formats and projecting the whole round image on a larger piece of film. For example, he built a camera using the 50mm Mamiya wide angle lens designed for the Mamiya Press camera that makes an image about 4.5" in diameter on a sheet of 5X7" film. Several days ago he suggested that he was going to graft a 4X5" back on a Fuji 645 rangefinder camera to get another circular camera. Just to kid around I cropped in Photoshop a circular image from one of my own negatives and sent it to Sam, entitled "Faux Wang 2009" with the suggestion that there were easier ways to get the circular image. Course, some people are always going to do things the hard way, right?

So this is less about getting knowledge to Sandy's brain and more about just kidding around.

Sandy