Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Chamonix 4x5 and Nikkor-SW 120 F8 Question

Urgent Chamonix 4x5 and Nikkor-SW 120 F8 Question

Hello,

I have recently purchased a new Chamonix 4x5 Camera. On the search for lenses I discovered a mint Nikkor-SW 120mm F8 that I could buy today. My question is the following: Will the Lens fit my Camera physically? I heard that certain lenses may not fit due to a very large back-element !?

PS: I somebody has a picture of this elsn mounted, iI would be happy to see it ; )

best regards,

Michael

Re: Urgent Chamonix 4x5 and Nikkor-SW 120 F8 Question

It should fit with no problem, heres the specs... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

The lens is mounted in a copal 0 shutter and the filter size is 77mm. Both the front and rear elements take 80mm ''slip on'' caps. You have approx 84mm to play with on the front standard of the Chamonix.

Thanks Kev !

Is the front diameter of the lens (77mm) the same as the rear-element diameter ? That's the one i'm really worried about...

best regards,

Michael

Just going by the specs in the link above both elements require the same slip on cap size of 80mm, so thats obviously the outer diameter of both elements. I just measured the opening in my Chamonix and its approx 84mm so you've got room to spare.

Thanks a lot ! Finally I will be able to ruin my first photos with my 4x5 ; )

best regards,

Michael

Of course that lens is a bit overkill for 4X5, I use one on 8X10. There are smaller and lighter lenses for 4X5. But the Nikkor will work on 4X5, and give you more movements than you could possibly use!

Of course that lens is a bit overkill for 4X5, I use one on 8X10. There are smaller and lighter lenses for 4X5. But the Nikkor will work on 4X5, and give you more movements than you could possibly use!
    Also called an investment for the future larger format camera

While the Nikon may have more movements than you will use, everything else in the 120mm range has little movement at all, so it is the best compromise if you want movements over weight. Great for shooting buildings - does not look "wide" but has unlimited shift.

Octogenarian

Fred Picker recommended and taught a two lens kit for 4X5, a 120SW and a 210W.

He claimed that those two focal lengths would cover 95% of the subjects one will encounter with a 4X5 camera.

I agree with his conclusion. However, I like the combination of a Nikkor 120SW and a Nikkor 180W for 4X5, even better.

I use the combination of a Nikkor 120SW and a Fuji 250CM-W for 5X7.

Although I have lenses with shorter and longer focal lengths, I rarely find the need to use them.

Drew Wiley

A more relevant question is whether or not the front standard of the camera, and the
    bed itself, will support that kind of weght and bulk without the risk of vibration. With even my Ebony 4x5 the only way I can use a 90SW is to use base tilts to bring the front and back standards closer to the center of gravity. Add a center filter and the problem is accentuated. With the 120 SA I always used the Sinar. With these little
    filed cameras, I use a 125 Fuji W instead, which is just a fraction of the weight.