Thread: Please explain ink jet paper sizes

Please explain ink jet paper sizes

Since the '70's, I have gotten my system down re: traditional silver gelatin prints in size formats, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, 20x24--chemical trays, matting, glass & framing--to me, this has been logical, rectangular & convienent sizes to work with.

However, now I am making some digital ink jet prints, sized 11x17, 13x19 (Epson, Harman). This elongated rectangular paper size creats issues for me re: matting & framing. But please explain why ink jet printers & paper manufactures opted for this unconvential paper sizes (sheet feed paper)?

And have others faced this situation & feel the same way? How have you dealt with this issue-matting, framing, etc

Re: Please explain ink jet paper sizes

Probably because the first inkjet printers were aimed at graphic arts - printing professionals, where 11x17 is a common size (in the USA), along with letter size (8.5x11) and so on. 13x19 was so we could print full bleed 11x17 proofs with edge markings.

I just trim the paper. If you shoot 6x9 or 5x7 you get more for your money ;-)

When I print for my 11x14 portfolios from Photoshop, I center my (smaller, usually ~9x12) image onto the paper and make the Canvas Size 11x14, then do a 2px black Stroke so that I get a crop mark along the top and bottom. If I use 11x17 paper I'll get an "oversize" warning that I ignore.