View Poll Results: Do you buy your camera/lenses new or used?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • New

7 4.67%
  • Used

89 59.33%
  • A bit of each...

54 36.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you buy your camera/lenses new or used??

Re: Do you buy your camera/lenses new or used??

I acquired the vast majority of my photographic equipment used and that is ever since I started doing this over 50 years ago. That is not to say I haven't bought some new equipment here and there, but certainly the best stuff I've gotten and that I've kept the longest happens to be used. And, as time goes on, I seem to keep stuff longer and longer.

Mostly new, but I have gotten some large format lenses used. I buy them at my camera store, Bruce's Field Camera Store. This is not an ad though. I rarely have any used lenses in stock any more. I have been getting only new lenses for the 35mm & digital cameras. If I need something new, for the small cameras, I visit Adorama. If used, I will look on Ebay. Being an Ebay seller, I know how to spot a problem seller, and avoid those. I might also check with Lens and Repro for used LF lenses.

I have a 135 Schneider lens for 4x5 that I bought new. My 4x5 Wista was new. Everything else has been used, and that includes 99% of my darkroom. I find I improve/modify almost everything I buy, so I stay away from new stuff where I might lose more value. I don't believe in having perfect pristine glass. I've yet to see a minor lens defect show up in a print, especially so in contact printing formats (8x10 & 8x20). I still have my 3 original 4x5 filmholders (purchased used) that I got for my freshman photography class.

john

Used Lens from KEH accessories from Ken and MPEX
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

I wish all photographic needs could be met as simply as buying used cameras and lenses through eBay. On another thread here, Acros 8x10 film is being offered for around $9 to $11 a sheet. It's a great film, but when 8x10 black-and-white costs even $5, let alone $10, some of us will be forced to shoot much less. Thank heavens that there are still some Chinese manufacturers offering 8x10 for $2.50 or $3/sheet.
    I do believe that the 8x10 Acros is in 20 sheet boxes, if not i don't think anyone would buy it, at least i would not.

All my 4x5 equipment so far are second hand, and judging from the amount of people who buy used, is it any wonder when camera makers are all going digital? Guess "they just don't make em like they used to any more..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    I do believe that the 8x10 Acros is in 20 sheet boxes, if not i don't think anyone would buy it, at least i would not.
    Yup, seems that now the consensus is they will be 20-sheet boxes, making it much more reasonable. Wheew!
    Last edited by Rodney Polden; 30-Oct-2009 at 22:52. Reason: up-to-dater info...

I wonder whose buying the New Equipment?

All used, except the digital I need for work. I avoid ebay and use LFPF, APUG, and KEH.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Polden View Post
    Who knew we would all be rescued by the Chinese?
    I'd dare say the Chinese would argue that they've know since the People's Revolution...