Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikkor SW65mm f/4 - diffraction and aperture question

Re: Nikkor SW65mm f/4 - diffraction and aperture question

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Christopher View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

I may have to re-define and manage expectations somewhat differently in light of this information.

I won't sacrifice a shot just because it require f/22 or f/32. I'll still do it and see how it can be improved (or salvaged) later on, or think of different ways to present it.

Best regards.
    I don't have a 65mm yet but should have one coming very soon. My widest at the moment is a Grandagon 90mm 6.8, At first I was also reluctant to use F32 but I often found it necessary for DOF. I was surprised to find out the lens is very sharp at this f-stop. I now will use F32 with no hesitation even if I think F22 will get 95% DOF just to be sure everything is sharp.

I don't know how a Nikkor 65mm performs but seeing a sharpness drop at F22 seems a little strange. Also F22 should cover most situations at this focal length unless you really have something right up to the lens or in a situation where tilt and swing will not help and you need F32 or F45 to get everything sharp.

Re: Nikkor SW65mm f/4 - diffraction and aperture question

I did another series of shots on 6x12 with the 65mm Nikkor at f/22 and f/45. Waiting to see the results as soon as I develop the negs.

Coverage with tilt and swing ... Singapore, where I'm at, is a tiny little island (Google Singapore) that's about 14.9 miles at it's longest point. We have over 6.5 million people residing on our island, and as a result, many built-up areas are very, very crammed as are the interiors.