Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Film for Astrophotography

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Film for Astrophotography

I've heard a lot of good reports about Pan Tech and will give it a try if I run across some. At present I am planning on shooting 35mm thru the scope either at prime focus or eyepiece projection, and medium format piggybacked at dark sky sites. I don't believe the image circle on my scope will justify using MF or larger film sizes other than in a piggyback mode. Some of the newer telescopes will.

OpticsPlanet just E-mailed me the return UPS mailer and I'm sending the guide eyepiece back to them tomorrow morning. For deep space photography I also need to order a focal reducer to reduce the effective FL from f10 to f6.3. This will enable me to reduce the exposure times by as much as 1/2. Down the road I'll probably pick-up a CCD camera along with a newer (and no doubt bigger) telescope. I was very much impressed by the work of a local amateur who captured wide field images using a SBIG CCD camera attached to a 150mm Takumar lens on a guiding mount from backyard metropolitan skies.

Photography, and astrophotography in particular, can be ultra expensive: Just the standard star atlases - Uranometria and the Millennium atlases in my case - ran me ~$400. Both, however, offer priceless rewards that keep paying back with dividends throughout life.

Thomas
    Last edited by tgtaylor; 3-Nov-2009 at 19:44. Reason: Correction.