Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on the Kelty Redwing P2 backpack system

Feedback on the Kelty Redwing P2 backpack system

I am considering one of the P2 photo backpack systems from photobackpacker.com. I talked with Bruce this morning and have been looking at his websitem, this website and googling on the pack.

I am currently using a LowePro PhotoTrekker. It works fine, but it not particularly comfortable on long hikes. I have a Chamonix 4x5, 6 or 7 lenses and all the other stuff, including both Quickloads and holders. I would not save any weight, but I am thinking the pack would be more spacious (a blessing and a curse) and more comfortable. I am over 6 feet, so the pack should fit.

Any feedback from those who have used the setup would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Feedback on the Kelty Redwing P2 backpack system

I have one of the Kelty Redwing P2 backpack systems and I love it. Mine is set up for my 8x10 Deardorff. Very comfortable.

Re: Feedback on the Kelty Redwing P2 backpack system

I actually received mine today with the side pockets. I can well and truely recommend it (well, without trying it out on a big hike yet that is). It seems very comfortable and has enough adjustments to cater for different body shapes.

The fact that the zips go all the way to the bottom is superb and there's plenty of extra pockets for your bits and bobs. I can strap my Feisol CT-3372 tripod on the side with a Manfrotto 410 head (and that's a lot of tripod!) and it would be fine to walk with, previously I had to carry the tripod which meant I couldn't use walking poles.

The side pockets are superb with plenty of room for film, quickload holder etc and also has more zipped pockets for notebooks etc

I don't want to talk you out of using Bruce's photobackpacker system 'cause they are excellent and Bruce is great to deal with but I'm using mine with a Lowepro Pro Roller Insert which fits perfectly and leaves some room for a coat, food etc. Using the Roller insert means I can lift my LF gear out and put another Insert in with my Hasselblad gear in it. The Lowepro Insert fits my Chamonix, 6 lenses, light meter, filters etc.

If would would like to see any pictures let me know and I'll post them for you. In fact, I was going to write some stuff and post some pics on my blog in the next couple of days so have a look at that too if you think it'll be useful.

I went over to the LowePro site, but could not locate any info on their Pro Roller insert. Do you have to buy a roller pack to get the insert or do they sell them separately? If it is on their website, can you steer me in that direction?

Thanks

I got mine here in the UK, but that's probably not much use to you. There doesn't seem to be many places that sell them for some reason, I wonder if you can order them from Lowepro stockists?

Harley,

I like my P2 with the side pockets. It holds more than enough equipment and supplies. It's as comfortable as a pack can be. Mine has an Ebony 5x7, 4x5 reducing back, 80 quickloads and holder, 5 5x7 holders, 9 lenses, misc. stuff, and there's still room for other food, water, jacket, etc. For me (I'm 6 ft.) it functions very nicely. Jim

I have 2 of the Photobackpacker P2 packs. The first one is set up for an Arca Swiss F-Line field camera and 6 lenses plus film holders, etc. The second is set up for a Wehman 8x10 with 4 lenses plus etc. For 8x10 the film holders are a nuisance no matter how you pack them.

In any case, they are great packs, especially if you walk a lot. The suspension system is excellent. Be aware that there are 2 different waist pad options. Unless you are a string bean, specifically request the larger option which is bulkier but has better padding and support for a heavy load.

I have a LowePro backpack too. I can't remember which one but I never use it anymore and it is not in the same league as the Kelty P2/Photobackpacker.

I also have the smaller Photobackpacker pack that is based on the Kelty 3100. If you have a smaller 4x5 system that has plenty of room and is much lighter. I used it for a Canham with 6 lenses etc.

The lens cases are a mixed blessing. They are a bit bulky. I now use a padded fly reel case inside the backpack and it holds all the lenses, light meter, loupe. It is not securely attached to the back - I need to get some velcro - but it fills out the space and is efficient.

I like the webbed side pockets on the bottom for a water bottle, small umbrella, and space blanket. I cut a space blanket down to about 3ft x 3ft to use as a waterproof blanket on which I set the backpack in sloppy conditions. Works pretty well and is stored on the outside of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I now use a padded fly reel case inside the backpack and it holds all the lenses, light meter, loupe. It is not securely attached to the back - I need to get some velcro - but it fills out the space and is efficient.
    That's a brilliant idea! I never thought of looking at fishing accessories, just had a quick look and you can get something about the same size as my Lowepro insert and it's much cheaper. I think I'll order one...

Harley,

I too have the Kelty Redwing P2 backer system and find it much more comfortable than the LowePro products. From your description it sounds as though I probably carry as much (or more) with me when out shooting. I recommend the systems very highly.

See you Friday night at the gallery opening.

Rick Russell

LJ Segil

More praise for the utility, capaciousness, and comfort of the P2 packs from Photobackpacker. I use two P2s (one 4x5/5x7) and one 8x10 and have found that if I use the multilens cases that there is very littler wasted space in the pack, I think the single lens cases are less efficient at utilizing available space and less configurable if you like to mix and match your lens kits. The side pockets carry a lot (a whole lot!) of gear and add greatly to the utility of the pack, and even when the pockets are full the pack can still serve to carry a Feisol 3372 and head strapped along one side. 8x10 film holders can fit both inside the body of the pack and in the rear flap pocket. The two side pockets can accommodate 12-14 5x7 holders, or a single pocket can accomodate a combination of any two of Quickload/Readyload/Polaroid/Fujiroid holders with an ample supply of film envelopes or packs. They can also accommodate several lenses in either Photobackpacker cases or lenswraps (or naked if you like to travel that way). Properly adjusted the pack is very comfortable and well supported, my biggest problem with it is resisting the urge to overload it, as it can carry so much, and then exceeding the amount of weight that I can reasonably carry.
    Highly recommended.
    Larry